- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral, experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
The successful Research Scientist candidate is expected to lead the design, develop and validate an innovative on-chip photonic sensing platform based on graphene-sensitized mid-infrared nanophotonic waveguides for spectroscopic monitoring of blood pattern changes in ICU patients. The platform will enable the monitoring of blood biomarker patterns and underlying physiological processes signalizing improvement or deterioration of the patient condition. Infrared spectroscopy has proven its potential as a reliable tool for probing biomarkers for various diseases via plasma, serum, and blood cell samples.
The successful candidate needs to demonstrate a high degree of multidisciplinary with top expertise in the field of infrared spectroscopy, optic system development, and nanofabrication will develop a unique nanophotonic mid-infrared sensing/monitoring lab-on-a-chip platform enabling enhanced blood profiling to accurately and dynamically evaluate the biochemical status of patients via molecular blood biomarkers, thereby assisting health personnel’s diagnostics.
The successful candidate is expected to be able to contribute in the 3 main work package of the projects i.e.:
WP 1: Waveguide development
Overall Objective: To design and develop waveguide geometries for precise blood plasma measurements.
WP 2: Self-cleaning graphene surfaces and graphene nano-structures for signal enhancement
Overall Objective: To develop self-cleaning and absorption-enhancing graphene surfaces for clinical use
WP 3: Modelling for optimization of slot waveguide and graphene surface properties
Overall Objective: To model infrared absorption enhancement and sample adhesion at graphene surfaces to support the design of waveguides and novel graphene surfaces for infrared measurements.
Qualifications & Experience
- PhD Degree in Physics or Engineering with expertise in 2D material, photonics, nanofabrication, Infrared Spectroscopy, Optic System Development Engineering.
- Experience at least 3years .
- A previous experience in reputable universities.
- Must be able to independently organize, direct and manage a research team to meet project targets. Proven track record of publication & strong presentation skills. It is important the candidate has extensive experience with nanofabrications tools
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: KUK – Khalifa University
Job: Research Scientist
Job Type: Full-time