Research Associate in ESI, Computer Science and Systems Research
Energy Studies Institute
The Energy Studies Institute (ESI) is a research institute at the National University of Singapore seeking to advance the understanding of energy policy issues by conducting independent research and analysis. We are looking for researchers to join a multi-disciplinary team carrying out research projects on a range of energy issues that are of concern to Singapore and the region.
The Institute is looking to recruit a specialist in data and/or computer science at the rank of Research Associate. The appointed staff will operate under the responsibility of the Institute Head and work closely with members across each of the institute’s divisions.
Candidates are expected to be highly familiar with data analytics, visualization and the deployment of modern computer science techniques and workflows for upgrading and optimizing research output. An understanding of Singapore’s economic system, and local work experience is desirable. The appointed candidate is also expected to have a sound awareness of current and emerging trends in energy and environmental research.
Commensurate with experience and rank:
- To develop and present ideas to the Institute Head, and senior research staff (Division Heads) on opportunities to integrate and complement contemporary computer science and process techniques into our existing research projects and workflows.
- To explore potential for, and possibly support the development of, digital twin architectures for policy analysis within an energy-system context. This would likely involve close collaboration with other systems scientists and modellers within the institute.
- To take an active role in the development of project reports, but also to be willing to contribute expertise to projects managed by other research staff within the institute.
- One example where a computer scientist skillset may for example apply directly to research is under research into carbon pricing in Singapore where blockchain technologies will be an integral part of the data capture and monitoring processes.
- To collect, clean and analyse data across various different projects, potentially involving the development of a shared database infrastructure for the institute e.g. mySQL.
- To support institute website development, either in a hands on capacity or by engaging with website administrator.
- To assist technical delivery for public events, such as workshops and conferences.
The specific area of work will depend on the priorities of the institute at any given point in time.
- Possess a Master’s degree in computer science, data science or other related fields, or possess a Bachelor degree in finance or other related fields with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience in quantitative data analysis.
- A good contemporary understanding and interest in energy and environmental issues.
- Relevant working and practical experience in industry or government agencies in the area of energy and environment in Singapore would be highly valuable.
- Track record of publications in reputable journals would be an advantage.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
To apply for this position, please combine the following documents in 1 PDF and attach it under the CV column when submitting your application:
- Curriculum vitae
- A cover letter, of no more than 800 words, explaining the applicant’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the research project
Interested candidates, please submit your application with all the required documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Shortlisted applicants may be called for interview, either in person or by zoom, as appropriate. If you have not heard from us within 3 months, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presences are required.
In accordance with Singapore's legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able to work on the NUS premises with effect from 15 January 2022. As such, job applicants will need to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Energy Studies Institute
Department: Energy Studies Institute