Assistant Professor/ Associate Professor in Physics
DEPARTMENT: Department of Physics
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Physics
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Professor / Associate Professor
LOCATION: Suzhou Campus
POSITION OPEN DATE: 1 July 2022
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31 August 2022
JOB ID: 2804
CONTRACT TYPE: Fully time, fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable; the third contract is open-ended
University and Department Overview
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. The university uses the English language as a medium of instruction. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
The Department of Physics is part of the School of Mathematics and Physics at XJTLU. Research within the Department of Physics seeks to explore and explain fundamental aspects of the world we live in, from the smallest subatomic particles to the Universe as a whole. Current research projects at the department can be broadly classified within the following research areas: particle physics, quantum gravity, nanotechnology, condensed matter physics, dynamical systems, theoretical physics, and astrophysics.
We invite applications for the position of Associate Professor or Assistant Professor. Successful candidates will show commitment to a high standard of teaching at all levels. The department is involved in the delivery of undergraduate physics and mathematics modules at all levels, as well as the PhD programme.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Conduct high-quality research, leading to publications in top journals.
- Actively attract external research funding.
- Supervise PhD students and undergraduate student projects.
- Teach physics and mathematics to undergraduate and graduate students in English.
- Contribute to the functioning of the department and school.
We are looking for future colleagues able to collaborate with others, with an active attitude for research, passionate about physics and able to conduct their academic duties in English.
- Effective communication skills;
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Professionalism and work ethic;
- Interpersonal abilities to manage a research team
- Positive attitude and energy
- Diversity / Sensitivity.
- A PhD in Physics or a closely related field;
- Outstanding teaching skills;
- Fluent in English
- Two years of full time work experience with demonstrable teaching experience;
- International experience in higher education;
- Experience in conducting research supported by national level research funds;
- Experience in academic programme design and development;
- Experience in supervision of student projects.
Range of Annual Base Pay:
Assistant Professor: 360k-400k RMB
Associate Professor: 450k-490k RMB
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s education, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please use the following link to submit your application (Requisition ID 2804):
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Cover letter
- Current CV, including date of birth and country of citizenship
- Full publication list
- Teaching statement (1-2 pages).
- Contact information for three references
For questions or inquiries about the position, please contact Head of Department of Physics, Prof.M.B.N. (Thijs) Kouwenhoven at T.Kouwenhoven@xjtlu.edu.cn. For general enquiries, please email HR at Mengdie.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID (2804) in your enquiry.