Senior Research Scientist, Cancer Science Institute 1
Are you a biomedical researcher motivated to pursue an outstanding career in cancer research with a focus on structural biology?
Cancer will affect more than 1 in 3 Singaporeans. At the Cancer Science Institute (CSI), our mission is to be at the global forefront of research to overcome this scourge. Our innovative international faculty, cutting-edge facilities, supportive working environment and competitive package together enable each of our staff to realize their maximum potential.
We now seek a Research Scientist/ Senior Research Scientist to join the team of Prof. Ashok Venkitaraman. This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with a world-leading cancer researcher to undertake pioneering research on the role of genome instability in human carcinogenesis (eg., see Venkitaraman Science (2014) PMID:24675954 and Venkitaraman DNA Repair (2019) PMID:31337537).
This position will be jointly under Dr. Tan Yong Zi, who is an expert on single-particle cryogenic electron microscopy (cryo-EM) (see https://www.tyzlab.com/). His lab is a core member of the Centre for BioImaging Sciences' (CBIS), and have access to high-end cryo-EM microscopes, including a Titan Krios with K3 direct detector and energy filter. The aim of this joint position is to use cryo-EM to help solve the structures of many exciting cancer complexes to help with potential drug development.
Duties And Responsibilities
The position exists to provide
- Optimisation and performance of structural biological related experiments and projects, particularly in the field of cryo-electron microscopy
- Sample Vitrification:
- Proteins will be produced separately, hence experience in protein production is not required, although favoured
- Candidate will be responsible for optimisation of the vitrification of grids
- Data Collection:
- Candidate will oversee collecting screening and high resolution cryo-EM data from the T12 and Krios
- Data analysis:
- Candidate will oversee processing the data and producing cryo-EM maps from high resolution Krios data collections
- Candidate will help setup the processing pipeline for CSI
- Oversee training personnel from both CSI and Tan lab on cryo-EM
- PhD in cryo-EM or structural biology related field
- Firm understanding of the principles of cryo-EM
- Experience in single-particle cryo-EM sample vitrification, data collection and data processing
- Good publication record
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Friendly and personable
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presences are required.
In accordance with Singapore's legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able to work on the NUS premises with effect from 15 January 2022. As such, job applicants will need to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.