Lecturer / Senior Lecturer, Software Engineering
- Based at our Burwood Campus, Full-time and Continuing position
- Academic Level B $100,837 + 17% Superannuation
- Academic Level C $122,950 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The School of Information Technology delivers courses in information technology, computer science, data science, artificial intelligence, cyber security and software engineering to provide our graduates with a sound platform for the diverse employment opportunities that will exist in the future.
The Senior Lecturer, Software Engineering will be responsible for providing leadership in research, teaching and engagement in the area of Software Engineering. At Level B (Lecturer), the appointee will be expected to undertake research, teach and publish in the area of Software Engineering. Both levels promote the School and maintain links and partnerships with relevant academic, industry and professional communities.
Your key responsibilities will include the requirement to:
- Lead teaching teams to develop effective curricula and learning resources
- Adopt new innovation in curriculum design
- Deliver learner-centric, research-informed teaching practices across different levels / modes of delivery
- Provide clear assessment criteria and timely feedback to learners to demonstrate learning outcomes
- Develop effective assessment tasks and rubrics
- Adapt assessment practices to improve learning outcomes
- Support diverse learners by designing accessible and inclusive unit material and practices
- Design collaborative learning opportunities
- Provide academic support to students
- Build effective teaching teams
To be successful, you’ll have:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline and/or advanced qualifications and experience in the relevant discipline area
- An excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in undergraduate and/or postgraduate programs, including innovative curriculum design and research supervision
- A research reputation underpinned by publications in quality journals and/or exhibitions and/or success in obtaining external research grants
- Engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the national standing of the discipline
- Demonstrated capacity and passion for leadership of teaching, research and/or administration
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues.
Please submit your resume, and a short cover letter outlining how you meet the essential Selection Criteria, by 16 July 2022.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact John Yearwood via firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions.
Offers of employment from Deakin University are conditional upon the applicant being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory evidence of the same. You can view a copy of the University’s COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.