Manager, Public Relations and Publication
Knowledge and Communication Management / International Relations
In this position the appointee will support The Institute of Adult Learning's (IAL) efforts to build a corporate image by developing and executing effective media and public relations, including press releases, speeches, and monitor trends to nurture the TAE sector. You will also oversee publications to extend the reach of the institute’s findings to advocate their relevance to policy and practice, as well as establish IAL’s thought leadership through publication of research reports, papers and academic journals. Reporting to the Deputy Director, you will be part of the team in developing and implementing IAL’s PR and media strategy, building its reputation and ensuring effective media coverage, and forging relationships with journalists and key stakeholders.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Strategise, develop and execute a wide range of communication plans with a focus on public relations efforts to promote IAL as the national centre for Training and Adult Education in Singapore. These include media cultivation, crisis communication, drafting of media statements, speeches, talking points and Q&As, organising media briefings, pitching feature stories, developing byline articles and daily news monitoring.
- Manage all public relations activities, leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts in both local and international mainstream and trade media industry.
- Monitor and analyse publicity exposure and prepare PR reports on a quarterly basis for IAL management
- Review IAL completed research projects and propose fit-for-purpose analyses to aid planning of new research initiatives and answer policy questions and challenges to adult learning practice
- Prepare research papers / presentations that are requested and co-ordinated at regional (e.g. South East Asia Ministers of Education Organisation Centre for Lifelong Learning, SEMEAO CELL) or international level (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD,)
- Develop annual editorial calendar and publication plan to generate a wider reach of the research findings, to policy and practice as well as to the research community so as to generate awareness of IAL research capabilities and interest in workforce development and lifelong learning research
- Collaborate with the Research Division to publish research and academic publication production, including artwork, layout, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Work closely with Researchers to collect quantitative and qualitative data to manage contents for publication.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts, reports or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Manage research reports, including research production and publishing, such as contract review and negotiation with the publisher and collaborators.
- Collaborate with local and international publishers on journal reviews, business strategies, invite submissions from high-impact authors and commission special editions.
- Provide copy editing support to the IAL communications team for non-academic contents, and support corporate engagement activities, when necessary
- Support any other duties and cross-divisional projects assigned
- A tertiary qualification, preferably with post-graduate qualifications in Education / Organisational Psychology / Communications. A doctorate degree may be an advantage, but not mandatory.
- At least 6 years of work experience in one or more of the following - corporate communications, journalism, copywriting, public relations, publication, academic, research and online publishing.
- Proven track record of designing and executing successful public relations campaigns
- Proven track record and good relationships with both local and international media and publishers would be an advantage
- Proven competencies in stakeholder communications
- Knowledge of the style (such as APA, CMS, AMA, CSE, IEEE) and conventions followed in academic writing
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Possess good report writing, and document research findings, editorial skills in content editing, copyediting and proof-reading with an eye for details and be very accurate in their work.
- Proficiency in critical thinking and have ability to conceptualise findings from literature and empirical data.
- Possess good interpersonal skills and be able with work well with all colleagues and stakeholders
The successful appointee will be based in IAL Campus located at Lifelong Learning Institute next to Paya Lebar MRT station