Research Assistant, Computer Science and Information Technology
- Full Time
INVITATION TO APPLY FOR RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY
Our team, based at the Geography Department at National University of Singapore, has conducted a series of infectious disease transmission and control studies based on mobility data. We are seeking to recruit an excellent research assistant with a master degree in computer science, public health, geographical information science, statistics or another relevant field of study, with a successful track record.
The research assistant will be supervised by the principal investigator Dr Luo Wei, NUS Geography Department.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Conducting research activities
- Exploring new research directions and experimenting with new datasets and technologies
- Assisting the PI in the management of the research group and its activities
- Preparation of publications and managing other forms of research output such as software and data
- Assisting with funding applications
You should demonstrate that you possess:
- A master degree in a related discipline from a reputable university. Current master candidates are eligible to apply as well, provided that they are in the final stage of their studies and that their degree will be completed before the start of the appointment.
- Experience with programming (preferably C++). Having experiences with multithreading/openMP/MPI/cloud computing/software testing is a plus.
- An ability to conduct research activities independently.
- Excellent writing skills and a strong affinity to publish.
- Prior experience in agent-based epidemic modeling and social network analysis is a plus.
- Good communication skills in English, and an ability to present research in both academic and non-academic venues.
- Curiosity and passion to explore new concepts, methods and technologies, and capability of identifying and quickly learning the most suitable tools for the research on the go.
Informal enquiries may be made to Prof. Luo Wei (email@example.com). Please include a covering letter, full CV and 3 letters of recommendation in your application. This is a one year contract which can be extended according to performance.
- Exhibits high ethical standards in his/her official duties
- Personal Qualities
Location: Block AS2-03-01
Organization: National University of Singapore
Employee Referral Eligible:
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students is one of our utmost priorities and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require significant amount of physical interactions with student / staff / public members. Even for job roles that can be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
With effect from 15 January 2022, based on Singapore’s legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able work at the NUS premises. As such, we regret to inform that job applicants need to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated for successful employment with NUS.
MOM Updated advisory on COVID-vaccination at the Workplace, subject to changes in accordance with the national COVID-19 measures