Role type: Full time/ Fixed-term for 2 years
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
Salary: UOM 8 – $108,009 – $116,906 p.a. plus 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
The School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering encompasses both the Department of Chemical Engineering and the Department of Biomedical Engineering. This fusion of engineering disciplines provides a dynamic and interdisciplinary environment that is world leading in both research and teaching.
About the Role
The Laboratory Manager will play a lead role in managing all aspects of laboratories across the Department of Biomedical Engineering and more broadly across the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering and is critical to operations and OH&S compliance.
You will be responsible for supporting a broad range of stakeholders in the safe and optimal use of the laboratories to maximise research outcomes, using your expertise and passion to facilitate the efficient and effective execution of the proposed research programs.
Additionally you will be responsible for ensuring that the ongoing externally provided support services to the area are of a high standard (e.g. cleaning, waste management, engineering etc.) as well as obtaining and overseeing the following licenses and permits:
- PC2 Certification;
- Drugs & Poisons Licences;
- Quarantine Import / Export Permits;
- School of Anatomy gazette.
You will also have the opportunity to influence the design and construction of a newly created lab, set to be built near the end of this year.
Further responsibilities include:
- Ensure consistency of inductions between laboratories for all new staff, students and visitors, maintaining training records and overseeing training procedures to ensure OH&S compliance.
- Manage the PC2 laboratory(s) and supervise the maintenance and calibration of the lab and equipment.
- Assist researchers throughout the Department of Biomedical Engineering to develop laboratory best practice, including in EHS;
- Conduct incident investigations, ensuring implementation of corrective actions and assistance in incident close out and report to the Faculty OHS team
You are passionate about supporting researchers through your highly-developed expertise in the safe and effective use of lab facilities, with the interpersonal skills necessary to engage a broad range of stakeholders. Your excellent planning and organisational skills enable you to prioritise tasks and balance competing priorities including staff and projects to meet well-developed timelines. You are committed to the highest standards of scientific and ethical integrity and have demonstrated knowledge of relevant legislative/regulatory requirements as well as relevant ISO quality standards.
You will further have:
- A relevant postgraduate degree with subsequent relevant experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience, educational training or extensive experience in management.
- Extensive experience working within a scientific or medical laboratory environment and coordination of personnel, ensuring operational effectiveness and providing technical training to staff.
- Proven experience successfully managing a laboratory or similar including overseeing budget processes.
- Experience in working in a PC2 qualified area.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities or culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
The University of Melbourne is required to comply with applicable health guidance and directions issued from the Victoria Health Minister. The University of Melbourne requires all University of Melbourne employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption order applies. All applicants therefore must meet this requirement when submitting an application
Position description: 0056133_Laboratory_Manager_PD.pdf
Applications close: SUNDAY 12 JUNE 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time