Research Fellow, AIR Hub
- Full Time
- Join an exciting program of work in Aerospace and Advanced Manufacturing
- Full time, 12-month fixed term position located in Hawthorn and Clayton
- $100,719 + 17% superannuation
About the Role
The Aerostructures Innovation Research Hub (AIR Hub) is a world-class, Victorian-led collaboration between Swinburne University of Technology, CSIRO, industry, and research partners. AIR Hub has been designed with Aerospace and Advanced Manufacturing leaders to reinforce the State’s pre-eminent position in advanced composites manufacturing for civil aerospace projects and accelerate development of composites manufacturing for integrated structures and airframes in eVTOL urban passenger, cargo, and aeromedical air vehicles.
As the Research Fellow, AIR Hub, you will play a key role in applying cutting edge R&D to demonstrator projects to showcase and translate Swinburne expertise in:
- Advanced composites,
- Intelligent manufacturing processes,
- Design and digitalization in aerospace structures.
You will provide expertise in these fields, leading research work packages for AIR Hub projects and supervising students and early career researchers and engineers at Swinburne, Industry Partner and research partner facilities. Collaborating with principal investigators you will deliver cutting edge research and expert thinking to the partner challenges.
To be suitable for this role you will have:
- Proficient engineering skillset and project experience in carbon composite characterisation, process optimization, experimental design, and polymer resin curing.
- Experience with modelling, characterization, digital twinning and model-based engineering design approaches for systems engineering.
- Ability to collaborate with industry on applied research projects in the aerospace or advanced composite manufacturing sectors.
- Knowledge and experience of data-driven process modelling.
To be suitable for this role you will have:
- A Bachelor (Hons) degree or Master’s degree in Engineering or Science majoring in Aerospace, Materials, Manufacturing, Robotics, Automation or Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- A PhD in Engineering or Science in the field of Composites Materials, Manufacturing, Digitalisation, Aerospace, Automation, Design or another related field.
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne Horizon 2025 draws upon our understanding of future challenges. With this new strategic plan, we choose to build Swinburne as the prototype of a new and different university – one that is truly of Technology, of Innovation and of Entrepreneurship, and proud of it. We are committed to a differentiated university proposition in education and research, so that:
- Every Swinburne learner gets a work experience
- Every Swinburne graduate gets a job
- Every Swinburne partner gets a tech solution
- Swinburne is the prototype of global best practice
The achievement of our 2025 moon shots depends on our capacity to work collectively, always, as One Swinburne.
Please submit your CV and cover letter addressing why you believe you are suitable for this position.
For further information about this role and to review the position description; please click 'apply' or click onto it at the bottom of the advert.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children Check.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Swinburne Talent Acquisition Team on email@example.com
Applications Close: Sunday 26th June at 5 pm
Diversity and Inclusion
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity and inclusion through key initiatives. For further information on all our initiatives visit our equity and diversity website
We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Assistance and Support
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact Maree Norden, Diversity & Inclusion Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
For support or queries related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment, please contact Timothy Werner at DeadlyCareers@swin.edu.au
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Orders from Victoria’s Minister for Health require all Swinburne workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they are an Excepted Person as defined by the Pandemic COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Specified Workers) 2021 Order (No. 1). All applicants must therefore be able to comply with this requirement.
We are a 2022 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant