King’s is a world class university at the Heart of London with an ambitious vision in making the world a better place. We place our students at the heart of everything we do.
Our security team is composed of friendly, dedicated female and male staff. As a member of the King’s Security team, we expect you to have a desire and determination to display world class customer service skills in supporting and working with fellow colleagues. Our security teams do much more than just protecting buildings, they are there to provide safety, support and help to everyone they come in contact with on a daily basis. Your interpersonal skills are equally as important in this role to be part of our security team.
The role holder will consistently demonstrate high levels of service culture, be values driven and help drive continuous improvement in a fast moving and diverse environment. The post requires you above all to display excellent customer care, a positive commitment to our students, staff and colleagues in service improvements, demonstrate reliability, understanding and empathy, compassion and the ability to demonstrate a proactive approach and a willingness to work as a team.
The role will cover a range of internal & external duties, including meeting and greeting students, staff and visitors, safeguarding buildings through internal and external patrols, dealing with fire alarms, First Aid and other emergency incidents, controlling access into the buildings, operating CCTV surveillance and other security systems.
As a King’s security officer, you will be expected to be smartly dressed in business attire uniform and you will be required to work shifts across any of our campuses.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract and is a Full-Time post.
• Welcoming students, visitors and staff displaying world class customer service skills.
• Providing advice and general information to students and staff such as locations of classrooms, buildings, courses, events, transport hubs.
• Act as a team player, demonstrating a ‘can do’ approach and exhibit ‘Fit for King’s’ behaviours at all times.
• Keeping the buildings safe from damage by conducting patrols and reporting any maintenance issues, IT or Health & Safety concerns to the relevant departments and taking prompt action.
• Carry out duties as directed including event specific requirements.
• Being alert to and reporting any incidents or suspicious activities in person or via radio communications to the security control room and displaying high levels of vigilance at all times.
• Issuing and returning of keys and contractor passes.
• Completing accurate written / IT records of incidents and other reports required as part of the role.
• Respond to emergency incidents when required (such as lift entrapment, fire activation), informing relevant persons.
• Providing assistance to vulnerable students or other victims of crime.
• Support the university in maintaining Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.
• Being aware of and supporting sustainability initiatives within Estates & Facilities.
• Adhere to all mandatory training required including Health & Safety, GDPR, Fire Safety.
• To maintain a professional friendly manner at all times, meeting any standards laid down in Assignment Instructions and showing respect and dignity to all.
• As an Equal Opportunities employer, we ask that you abide by all King’s policies and procedures and the Staff Departmental Standards document.
• Carry out any other reasonable duties that may be allocated from time to time, commensurate with the grading of the post or at the requested by the Campus Security Manager.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills - ability to work collaboratively with others and build effective relationships with internal and external colleagues and service users
2. Valid Security Industry Authority (SIA) Licence
3. Able to work independently as well as part of a team
4. Flexible approach to working extra hours to cover operational demand
5. Able to interact with a diverse mix of staff, students and members of the public
6. Willingness to travel and work at different campuses across the King’s estate as required.
7. Willingness to do shift work, including nights
1. A general knowledge of Microsoft Office and the internet
2. Experience of Security related work
3. Experience of working within a 24/7 operational environment
4. Experience of working independently and making independent decisions