Welcome IT Assistant
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £21,135 to £24,871 Per annum
Full Time Fixed Term for 6 months
Closing Date: Tuesday 07 June 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We are looking to appoint 3 Welcome IT assistants to support the Service Desk to provide first line support within an ITIL based environment to work Monday to Friday from June 2022 to November 2022 (6 months fixed term). This role is crucial in supporting two of the University’s key activities through one of our busiest times of year. iSolutions is one of the largest departments within the University’s Professional Services group, providing computing facilities, data communications and telephone services in support of all University activities, including learning and teaching, research, and University administration. You will enjoy operating as a successful and contributing member of a busy, dynamic and exciting department, working to extremely high standards and committed to achieving tight deadlines with high levels of customer satisfaction.
We offer excellent benefits including a pension scheme, generous holidays, and the opportunity to develop your career in a professional, friendly and pleasant working environment.
About the Role
The Welcome IT assistant role will primarily be focused on supporting 2 key University activity known as pre-sessional, and Welcome. During the Pre-sessional period the role will be to provide IT support and advice to international students and tutors working remotely in their home countries as well as supporting international students and tutors on the Highfield campus. During the Welcome period the role will also be supporting new and returning students and staff accessing University IT systems and services. The support you will be providing will be face to face, and via email, phone and video calls.
The Service Desk delivers a highly professional cutting edge IT support service to a diverse user community of over 25,000 University staff and students, providing an initial technical frontline service to our customers and escalating more technical enquires to our 2nd or 3rd line support teams.
This role would suit someone who has prior 1st line IT support experience, or someone with customer services experience with a good level of IT skills and some technical understanding looking to begin a career in IT support.
What you’ll do
- Log all incidents, requests and responses into the University’s IT Service Management Tool, providing first line solutions where appropriate and escalating to second and third line support as necessary following the incident management process
- Assist users and customers, (staff, students and visitors), in the use of iSolutions products and services as well as the resolution of reported incidents and service requests.
- To be proactive in identifying trends and advising the Team Leader of possible service implications and solutions. To schedule additional work and ticket management around daily tasks ensuring smooth operations of the desk
- Document and utilise responses to problems and resolution information to incidents to help develop an effective knowledge base for use within the Service Desk and by our users
What you’ll bring
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills and experience along with strong technical troubleshooting support skills in a multi-platform desktop environment, over a networked infrastructure across multiple locations. You will have a proactive approach to problem management, excellent communication skills (both verbally and written) with the ability to communicate using technical and non-technical language.
You will also be able to demonstrate experience/knowledge using and supporting in some or all of the areas below:
- MS Windows environments including the registry and management console
- MS Office products
- MS Exchange
- Active Directory
- Remote software deployment
- Remote support tools
- Logging enquires using an ITSM tool or comparable database
- User enquires within set time scales and SLA’s
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Jane Sturgeon (HR Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 4043 or email email@example.com Please quote reference 1828922JF on all correspondence.