Departmental Administrator B
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF PRODUCTION ANIMAL STUDIES
DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATOR B
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 10
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing a comprehensive office management and secretarial support service to the Head of Department and staff members of the Department of Production Animal Studies.
Responsibilities of the successful candidate will include, but may not be limited to:
- General departmental and office administration and management;
- Student and academic-related administration, including:
- Administering student assignments, tests, examinations and marks;
- Handling enquiries and correspondence and other student and academic administration;
- Preparing correspondence for the Head of Department;
- Handling telephone, fax, electronic, internet and all written communication and information for the Head of Department and departmental staff, including student, staff and service-related arrangements;
- General typing and preparing of teaching material including tables and graphs and PowerPoint presentations;
- Administering the personnel information system, research information system and continuous professional development system;
- Organising departmental events and providing assistance with marketing functions;
- Taking minutes;
- Any other administrative functions as required by the Faculty.
- National Diploma or equivalent in Office management and Administration and at least 5 years’ experience relevant to the above mentioned responsibilities; OR
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Office management and Administration and 3 years’ experience relevant to the above mentioned responsibilities.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Advanced level of computer literacy in MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, as well in the use of internet and e-mail (e.g. GroupWise);
- Appropriate language and communication skills with advanced writing skills;
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with a wide range of entities within the university community, as well as with external entities;
- Creative and analytical thinking;
- Ability to function independently and maintain confidentiality;
- Ability to pay stringent attention for detail;
- Time management skills and the ability to work under pressure, as well as effective organising and prioritising skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Certificates in MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and specifically End Note database;
- Experience in university financial systems;
- Relevant experience in a higher education environment.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
A comprehensive CV;
Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 7 June 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms DM Ntlwana, Tel: (012) 529 8501 or firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries and contact Dr Rebone Moerane (012) 529 8464 for enquiries relating to post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.