Teaching Assistant in Food Science
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty who teach and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to addressing the needs and aspirations of society.
College of Health Sciences Profile:
The College of Health Sciences (CHS) is home to a number of exciting undergraduate and graduate programs in the health sciences. From nutrition and physical therapy, to biomedical sciences and public health, our range of offerings is designed to meet the needs of Qatar’s growing health sector. Our programs boast innovative curricula, intensive experiential learning, and exciting research opportunities.
CHS is also a member of QU Health, a unique and strategic clustering of medical and allied health programs, which includes the Colleges of Medicine, Dental Medicine, and Pharmacy. At QU Health, the health teams of tomorrow start their professional journey learning and interacting together in a diverse environment and faculty across colleges work together in multidisciplinary research groups.
The B.Sc. Human Nutrition is established under the Department of Human Nutrition. The program is seeking to recruit a qualified candidate for an academic position in food safety at the level of Teaching Assistant, beginning January 2022. The candidate will be required to assist faculty members in the program, particularly in the courses, practical lab sessions, field training, student work groups, undergraduate research and community service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct laboratory sessions and supervise student-working groups in the food science and food safety courses
- Support students in the learning process though tutorials and other supporting educational processes
- Participate in the supervision of students in the field training
- Assist instructors in following up and grading student assignments
- Assist instructors and students in securing academic resources/reference materials for courses
- Maintain office hours
- Assist in the community service, marketing and outreach activities of the program
- Assist in various other tasks related to the development and needs of the Program
- Solid experience in teaching food science and food safety
- Classroom teaching and presentation skills
- Ability to communicate clearly with students on an individual basis or in small groups and to liaise with faculty members
- Flexibility in dealing with various academic and administrative tasks
- Master’s degree in Food Science/Food Technology/Food Safety or closely related field
- Practical and hands on food safety practice as part of their professional experience
- Experience in HACCP, Quality Control, food inspection is required
- Teaching experience of at least two years
- Bilingual candidates are preferred (Arabic/English)
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.