Assistant Professor for the Department of Geography
DEAN OF THE FACULTY OF PEDAGOGY of Masaryk University in Brno announces, following Section 77 of Act No. 111/98 Coll., an open competition for the post of ASSISTANT PROFESSOR with a focus on teaching in the Geography programs with a focus on education and geography teaching for elementary schools
Workplace: Department of Geography
University/Faculty: Masaryk University/Faculty of Education
Level of employment: part-time (1,0), i.e. 40 h/week
Position category: R2
Start date: 1st September 2022
Number of open positions: 1
Closing date for applications: 23.06.2022
The Department of Geography prepares geography teachers for the 2nd level of elementary school and participates in the preparation of teachers for kindergartens and for the 1st level of elementary school for common core subjects in connection with the educational area Man and his world. Its programs are focused on geographical and environmental education in the theoretical and practical level.
You can find more information about the faculty at the end of the advertisement, about the department at https://geografie.ped.muni.cz
The Assistant Professor will perform activities related to the pedagogical and professional aspects of the academic profession:
- Leads subjects related to physical geography in the above-mentioned programs, participates in programs focused on Teacher Training for the 1st level of elementary school in teaching a common basis in subjects focused on physical geography,
- leads, opposes and consults bachelor and master theses of the department students,
- participates in the mobility activities of the department (Erasmus contracts),
- conducts own research or participates in research and professional projects of colleagues at the department; this activity results in professional publications (articles in indexed professional journals, chapters in professional books published by recognised professional publishers, and others) and participation in professional local and international forums (conferences and seminars).
- The assistant professor may also be a member of committees.
Professional education, qualifications and experience:
- Ability to teach in the Czech language (minimum level C1 or native speaker) (required),
- Master's degree in geography or geography teaching,
- completed doctoral study program (Ph.D. degree) in the field of geography, didactics of geography or pedagogy,
- active knowledge of English (minimum level B2) (required),
- potential for national and international professional/research activities, as demonstrated by a list of publications and professional activities (required),
- experience of teaching at a university (advantage),
- experience of teaching in primary school, secondary school or higher education (advantage).
Other knowledge and skills: (required)
- PC proficiency: MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, GIT), pokročilá práce s GIS
- ability to collaborate through digital technologies (MS Teams, ZOOM, and others),
- flexibility and willingness to contribute to the development of quality undergraduate student training,
- good organisational and communication skills, independence, responsibility, ability to come up with own research and pedagogical projects and innovations in teaching.
- eight weeks of vacation, flexible working hours, pension contribution,
- meals in MU canteens,
- possibility to use sports facilities in Brno,
- Employment in a prestigious institution awarded the HR Excellence in Research Award,
- combining science with teaching activities,
- a well-equipped working environment in a well accessible location in Brno.
Education and development
- Career development and growth, the possibility of being assigned a mentor on entry,
- education, language and other courses provided by MU, use of MUNI libraries,
- possibility to take advantage of foreign stays and internships, participation in conferences.
HOW TO APPLY?
Apply via the online application link to June 23, 2022 and submit the required documents:
- Structured CV in PDF format (min. 1 A4)
- Copy of diploma from the highest level of education (without notarial certificate)
- A structured list of publications and professional activities (participation in conferences, research and others)
After the e-application deadline, you will receive information about the next steps.
Submitting the required documents when sending the e-application
In case of failure to provide the copies via the e-application, the applicant will be at most once asked to provide them by a specific date. If he/she fails to submit the materials by that date, he/she will not be admitted to the next round of the selection process, which is the interview.
Selection process and selection criteria
- submission of all required documents in the e-application,
- knowledge of the Czech language in both written and verbal form,
- the candidate's profile compliance with the requirements for the position.
At that Faculty of Education, Masaryk University, we promote equal access; every applicant has a chance to get a job regardless of age, gender, social or other disadvantages. Selection procedures are conducted following the University Selection Procedure Regulations.
Information about the faculty
The Faculty of Education, recipient of the prestigious international HR Excellence in Research Award, is a faculty with a relevant research focus based on interdisciplinarity linking teaching, scientific research and social engagement in academia. It develops HR strategy, supports career development, reconciliation of work and personal life of employed persons and provides a diverse range of benefits.