Research Fellow, School of Medicine, Dentistry & Biomedical Sciences
The School of Medicine, Dentistry & Biomedical Sciences (MDBS) at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Research Fellow in the Patrick G Johnston Centre for Cancer Research.
The successful candidate will study the role of germline genetic variation in mediating predisposition to breast cancer. They will use high-throughput assays (e.g., STARR-seq) to identify functional enhancer elements at breast cancer susceptibility loci and molecular biology techniques (including CRISPR activation screening) to perturb candidate causal regulatory elements that influence effector-gene expression in cell-line models of breast cancer.
The successful candidate must have and your CV/Cover letter (or application form) should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Hold or about to hold a PhD in cancer biology, molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or a related discipline.
- At least 3 years relevant research experience in the fields of cancer biology, functional genomics, or cancer predisposition.
- Experienced in maintenance of in vitro cell culture models, including derivation of cell-lines from primary tissue.
- Experience of using CRISPRa/i technology for assessing functional enhancer activity.
- Experience with Next-Generation Sequencing technologies.
- Experience with a range of molecular and cellular biology techniques, such as PCR, Western blot, cloning.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list.
This is a fixed Term post available until 31/08/2025.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions.
- Pension schemes.
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working.
- Family-friendly initiatives.
- Career development opportunities.
- Support for health & mental wellbeing.
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/.
Informal enquiries may be directed to: Dr Mehdi Jafarnejad - firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria, click on the 'Candidate Information link below.