Bioinformatician / Computational Scientist
A Bioinformatician / Computational Scientist position open in the MYCimmune program, a research collaborative between the University of Helsinki and University of California (USCF).
The position is located in the Prof. Juha Klefström’s Lab, Medical Faculty, University of Helsinki. The person chosen for the position will participate in the research group’s daily activities physically in Helsinki and remotely to collaborative efforts with UCSF. The job involves early morning and late evening meetings few times a month.
The main tasks are connected to a 5-year US Department of Defense’s Breast Cancer Research Program, Combining Immunotherapy and MYC Synthetic Lethality for Metastatic Breast Cancer, for which more information can be found in the program’s website.
In the project, we explore MYC-directed synthetic lethal strategies in the scope of drug discovery, pathway dependency identification, and clinical translation. The research involves analysis of complex molecular datasets from in vitro, ex vivo, in vivo models as well as from public databases. For our recent publications, search PubMed for Klefstrom j. Highlighted: Munne et al Nat Comms 2021, Tervonen et al Cancer Res 2021, Haikala Nat Comms 2019, Pant J.Med Chem 2018.
The projects involve statistical and computational analyses of in-house as well as publicly available datasets for generating computational predictions and data visualization relevant to the project’s goals. In addition, we are piloting various processes involving public health and research databases, with intention to integrate the discrete data into a meaningful health knowledge.
- PhD in a relevant field, preferably in bioinformatics or data sciences. Also candidates with MSc degree and significant work experience will be considered for the position.
- Experience in bioinformatics data analysis (such as transcriptomics data processing and analysis, gene set analysis, data mining, statistical and computational modelling, network analyses)
- Experience in data management. Graphical user interface design will be a bonus.
- Relevant programming language, database management and data visualization skills (R, Python, SQL)
- Motivated and independent, but also a good team player with excellent communication skills
- Versed in English language
- A vibrant, dynamic and international research-oriented working environment at the core of the ongoing transformation in the oncology field
- Opportunity to learn and develop computational approaches to address the current needs of precision medicine and immuno-oncology
- Opportunity to develop your skills in managing, interpreting and integrating data from complex networked projects and data visualization
- Opportunity to author and contribute to scientific papers
- Develop your skills in translational research in the interfaces between academia, hospitals and industry
- Opportunity to participate in the work of research consortia with significant societal and scientific impact
The initial contract will be for two years, with a possibility for extension. The salary is in accordance with the University salary system depending on the experience and qualifications of the appointee. In addition, University of Helsinki offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and opportunities for professional development. Further information here. The employment contract will include a probationary period of six months.
The position is located in the Klefström lab, Translational Cancer Research Program, Research Programs Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki.
Applications must include CV and a cover letter that clearly describes how your profile and interests are matching with the candidate requirements. Please also describe your most relevant previous achievements in the field and include names and contact information of at least 2 references. The application, together with the required attachments, must be submitted through the University of Helsinki electronic recruitment system.
Deadline for applications is May 31st, 2022, but the position may be closed sooner if an ideal candidate is identified.
For further inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.