Bio Electron Microscopist
- Full time, continuing position
- Join a knowledgeable team working across a variety of biological life science research projects
- Base Salary $97k - $106k + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
As the Bio Electron Microscopist, you will manage and maintain the suite of PC2 facilities and multi-modal microscopy research projects at Sydney Microscopy and Microanalysis (SMM).
You will provide expert technical support to researchers, focusing primarily on the needs of users in combined and correlative microscopy, microanalysis, analysis and interpretation of images and high-volume data.
Reporting to the Facility Manager, your key responsibilities will be to:
- provide expert advice, sound technical research support and assistance to researchers, students and other technical staff working in the laboratory
- manage the laboratory workplace ensuring that the research, learning and teaching requirements of the work area are met effectively
- ensure laboratory is compliant with Workplace Health and Safety requirements
- oversee the preparation of reporting and documentation for the work area
- provide effective leadership and management guidance and support to the staff in the research laboratory
- develop and maintain good relationships with relevant instrument and equipment vendors in relation to upgrades, enhanced features and troubleshooting.
- postgraduate degree in science, life sciences, or similar; or extensive experience in a relevant field
- skills and experience in advanced electron microscopy techniques and one or more light optical techniques
- experience in devising advance sample preparation microscopy solutions and imaging workflows for research including post-processing and image analysis for the transformation of data into publishable information and results
- experience in working with hazardous substances, PC2 laboratories and IBC approval
- advanced analytical, problem solving and time management skills
- ability to run the day-to-day/ operational issues of a multi-user laboratory.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident. Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Rachel Strong, Recruitment Operations, on 02 8627 7612 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Thursday 02 June 2022 11:59 PM