Marine Biology & Ecology
Location: National Oceanography Centre Southampton
Salary: £21,135 to £27,924
Full Time Fixed Term (until 30/09/2022)
Closing Date: Tuesday 24 May 2022
MARINEFF Research Technican
A Research Technican position is available in School of Ocean and Earth Science.
The appointee will be highly motivated and excited by the challenges involved in supporting a dynamic, interdisciplinary group of researchers. The appointee’s role will be to provide effective and efficient technical support to a department and its external customers, specifically the EU/Interreg MARINEFF oyster restoration project MARINEFF | Ocean and Earth Science, National Oceanography Centre Southampton | University of Southampton, including:
- laboratory/aquarium oyster studies,
- field surveys of Solent seabed oyster restoration sites,
- analyse the sediment particle size and biodiversity of benthic grab samples,
- analyse seabed video surveys,
- undertake biosecurity protocols in preparation for oyster deployments,
- support the Blue Marine Foundation Solent Project team to run stakeholder meetings, workshops and general engagement,
- assist with the writing of reports and materials for a variety of internal and external audiences,
- assist with ecological monitoring including research with Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust,
- creation of content for MARINEFF’s communication platforms including social media.
An office and laboratory position, to be based at the Universities of Southampton and Portsmouth.
Working at the University of Southampton gives you access to a wide range of benefits in addition to our competitive rates of pay. Our core benefits include pension scheme membership; a generous annual leave allowance (supplemented by University closure days and public holidays) and excellent family leave arrangements (including maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave).
As a university we aim to create an environment where everyone can thrive and are proactive in fostering a culture of inclusion, respect and equality of opportunity.
We believe that we can only truly meet our objectives if we are reflective of society, so we are passionate about creating a working environment in which you are free to bring your whole self to work. We welcome candidates form any and all backgrounds, who are committed to helping us create an inclusive work environment. We encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, from the Global South, from people who identify as LGBTQ+, from people with disabilities, and from first generation higher education attendees.
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Sam Stubbs (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 2380 592750 or email email@example.com Please quote reference 1818522HN on all correspondence.