Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer/ Associate Professor in Computer Graphics and Vision
Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer/ Associate Professor in Computer Graphics and Vision
School of Computing and Digital Technology
Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus
Salary: £37,505 to £59,880 per annum (Dependent on grade)
Posted On: Wednesday 16 March 2022
Closing Date: Friday 03 June 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300M campus in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, England, the School of Computing and Digital Technology is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement.
Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the school has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investments. Our growing teams are teaching, exploring and practising in some of the most exciting areas in the field of computing and the processing of digital media.
We invite applications to join our integrated teaching and research teams in the School of Computing and Digital Technology. For this role we are particularly seeking applicants who bring skills in the domain of Computer Graphics and experience in course oversight and leadership.
This role will be positioned between the Graphics and Vision group within the DMT Lab and aligned with several courses that the School of Computing and Digital Technology offer: Computer Games Technology and Visual Effects.
We have a thriving staff-student community with an ethos of project-based and role-based teaching with active groups dedicated to Game Jams and extra-curricular activities. We promote a realistic approach to personal development and actively embrace playtime through weekly Game Night activities. A particular highlight is the staff vs. student gaming tournaments – staff are yet to win. As a result, great inter-personal skills and the ability to link up curriculum to bespoke engagement strategies are required.
To support this exciting strategic initiative, the Department of Digital Media Technology has the following openings in their team;
- Lecturer - £37,505 to £40,766
- Senior Lecturer -£46,376 to £50,408
- Associate Professor - £55,091 to £59,880
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – For All Grades
- Providing an excellent student experience.
- Acting in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Innovate on best practice for learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Supervise student computing projects at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Lead in the design and development of high quality, up-to-date computing modules.
- Setting and marking of assessments and providing constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Reflective practice as a method for improving your performance.
- Participate in and orchestrate outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Conduct high quality research leading to publications in reputable journals and international conference proceedings.
- Embody the University’s strategy and values, demonstrating behaviors that align to those values.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED – For All Grades Essential
- Hold a PhD in Computer Graphics, Games, Visual Effects, Computer Vision, Applied Deep Learning, or a related applied technical computing subject, or have equivalent industry experience.
- Have a strong record of contributing to research teams.
- A proven record of partnering across your area of practice.
- Internationally recognised excellence in creating and writing research publications.
- Strong programming skills in a good selection of languages appropriate to the discipline, such as C/C++/C#/JS and Python.
- Applicants should have demonstrated excellent teaching in higher education or have presented regularly to technical audiences in an industry setting.
- To be a member of – or to have submitted for fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- Excellent team working and communication skills.
- Expertise in the field of Computer Graphics. You will bring a proven research or industrial portfolio of experience in the field of CG covering such areas as: Computer Vision, Game Science, Visual Effects, Animation, Motion Capture, Computational Geometry, Virtual Environments, Semantics and Context Awareness, Procedural Content Generation, Simulation and Dynamics, Rendering, Perception and Attention, Applied Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning / Deep Learning, High Dynamic Range Imaging and Image Processing.
Desirable (for Lecturer)
- Strong mathematical background with field leading knowledge of industry standard graphics, computer vision and artificial intelligence techniques.
- In addition to all the above, for Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor
- MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Disseminate on best practice for learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Secure industry-mentored projects for the student body.
- Contribute to the design and development of high quality, up-to-date computing courses.
- Take a participatory role in management, administration and development of the course provision within the school.
- Reflective practice as a method for improving collegiate performance.
- To develop bids and partnerships to secure research funding.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Have strong experience in conducting successful research supervision.
- A proven record of attracting and securing research funding and partnering across your area of practice.
- Track record of impact via networking and community management.
- Have the ability to communicate complex ideas and issues to a variety of stakeholders, both written and verbal.
- Desirable (For Senior Lecturer)
- Demonstrable ability to analyse complex information, think strategically and identify business opportunities for faculty improvement within your subject discipline.
- Experience of contribution to relationships between the University and discipline appropriate accrediting and professional bodies.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance processes in University award management.
- In addition to all of the above, for Associate Professor
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate highly effective teams, facilitating continuing professional development and efficiently manage staffing and fiscal resources.
- Manage a portfolio of industry-mentored projects for the student body.
- Lead in the design and development of high quality, up-to-date computing courses.
- Take a leading role in management, administration and development of the teaching and research provision within the school.
- Conduct mid- and end-of-year reviews to ensure the team’s goals are appropriately prioritised and completed.
- Lead on and orchestrate bid consortiums to secure research funding.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Have a world leading research track record.
- Have an evidentiary basis for positive influence on key University performance metrics including retention, progression, achievement, employability, student satisfaction and the research and teaching excellence frameworks.
- The ability to act as a representative of your discipline for the University in a variety of contexts, internally and externally, nationally and internationally.
- Be autonomous, work flexibly and effectively use initiative to be innovative where appropriate.
- A proven record of delivering upon impactful projects.
- Strong leadership qualities and skills commensurate to a management position, evidencing ability to nurture, develop and motivate teams and individuals to inspire a highly performant environment.
- Demonstrable ability to successfully manage projects or embed new developments and initiatives into faculty agendas.
- To be a member of – or have submitted for at least Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
The specific requirements for each role are detailed in the relevant job descriptions so applicants are advised to review these carefully before making an application.
The University Core Values are Excellence, People Focused, Partnership Working and Fairness and Integrity. These values underpin our working practices and student and staff community so applicants need to demonstrate these values during the application process.
In return for your dedication and hard work, can expect great ongoing personal and professional development plus the following main benefits;
- Generous annual leave entitlement – 40 days including bank holidays and Christmas/New Year closure
- Sickness/absence entitlement
- Teachers’ Pension scheme
- Library facilities on all campuses
- Life Assurance
- Personal Accident
- Travel card scheme
- Car parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car share scheme
- Catering facilities
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
We put £270 million into the regional economy and support thousands of jobs in the area. We're investing £260 million in our estate, including a major expansion of our city centre campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities. The Complete University Guide ranked us as a top 30 UK university for spending on facilities in 2015.
Selection and Interview Process
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in an Assessment Centre process, incorporating a detailed interview, teaching activity and a team-based activity. We welcome applicants seeking a fractional contract arrangement. If you wish to discuss this option, you can do so at interview stage.
We welcome applicants seeking a fractional contract arrangement. If you wish to discuss this option, you can do so at interview stage.
If you want to be a part of this amazing opportunity, are passionate about education and want to join our richly diverse community, please apply today as we could be part of your future. Complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including name, to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.