PhD Candidate in Maritime Digital Safety and Security
About the position
We have a vacancy for a PhD Candidate at Department of Marine Technology.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is to complete a doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
A PhD is an attractive career path that gives you professional expertise, experience in leading complex projects, and the ability to drive innovation.
The most important components of the doctoral degree are independent work in research carried out under active guidance.
The PhD position will be part of an interdisciplinary team consisting of people from academic groups at NTNU and our partners, which means that you will work with Norway's foremost experts in the field, and you will develop yourself to become an expert through your doctoral project. This is experience that will advance your career in industry or in academia. The result of your research contributes to Norway getting more knowledge related to the digital risk picture and means for mitigation.
When relevant, the work in the position will be related to:
- NTNUs Center for Cyber and Information Security (NTNU CCIS)
- Center for Research based Innovation Norwegian Center for Cybersecurity in Critical Sectors (SFI NORCICS)
- Norwegian Cyber Range (NCR)
- Center for Research based Innovation Autoship (SFI Autoship)
You will report to Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne.
Duties of the position
- dissemination and communication
All work tasks will be performed under the supervision of the supervisor or other colleagues at the Department.
Required selection criteria
- you must have a professionally relevant background in one or more of the following areas: marine technology, risk and reliability/RAMS/security, computer science, and engineering cybernetics
- your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- you must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education
- you must meet the requirements for admission to the Faculty of Engineering´s doctoral program: https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phiv
- this position is restricted by acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. This means that candidates from countries subject to export restrictions or listed in threat assessments from national security authorities will normally not be eligible for this position. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with these criteria will be prohibited from recruitment to this project
- excellent written and oral English
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- good Norwegian skills
- good collaboration skills in interdisciplinary teams
- good at self-management
- curious and innovative
- excellent communication and dissemination skills
- ability to independent work and reflection
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Engineering (https://www.ntnu.edu/iv/doctoral-programme) within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English (ta stilling til dette)
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Project proposal and idea for research plan (1-2 pages)
- Name and address of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne, email Ingrid.firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Marit Gjersvold, e-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway.
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-126/22 when applying.
Application deadline: 10.06.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Marine Technology
We develop methods and technology related to the blue economy: oil and gas extraction at sea, ship technology and the equipment industry, fisheries and aquaculture. We also have a strong commitment to the development of sustainable solutions for offshore renewable energy, coastal infrastructure, and marine robotics. Marine technology helps to solve major global challenges related to the environment, climate, energy, food and efficient transport. The Department of Marine Technology is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 10th June 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Department of marine technology