Researcher in Face Recognition Systems
About the position
We have a vacancy for a Researcher at The Department of Department of Information Security and Communication Technology (IIK).
Face recognition systems are widely deployed in numerous applications including border control scenarios. The focus of the research is on improving face quality assessment and attack detection in face recognition. The research objective is to develop mechanisms that can serve as predictive face quality estimators and additionally indicate possible attacks. Depending on the skills of the candidate, different aspects may be emphasized, for instance by focusing on:
- Quantitative and predictive face quality models
- Impact of quality on as single image and differential image manipulation detection
- Aggregation of quality assessment in quality vectors and performance evaluation of biometric image assessment algorithms
- Technical contributions to International Standards
The appointment is for a term of 18 months and sponsored by the European H2020 Research project iMARS. Thus, an active contribution to reach the iMARS objectives is expected.
The research will be carried out as an integrated part of the Norwegian Biometric Laboratory – NBL, and under guidance of Dr. Kiran Raja and Prof. Dr. Christoph Busch.
You will report to Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- Contribution for iMARS research activities
- Contribution to iMARS deliverables
Required selection criteria
- A PhD in biometrics
- Well versed with face recognition systems using deep learning
- Good written and oral English language skills
Preferred selection criteria
- Publication activities in the aforementioned disciplines at known venues such as (IEEE-IJCB, CVPR, TIFS) will be considered an advantage
- Good written and oral English
We are searching for applicants who are:
- Highly motivated for fundamental scientific research of practical relevance is essential.
- Highly motivated for research work in a multidisciplinary way and ability to work independently.
- Well organized and with interest in wider context of own research and ability.
- Eager to disseminate research results through publications and presentations at international conferences
- Eager to contribute research findings to International Standardisation committees.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of Researcher (code 1109) is normally remunerated at gross from NOK 560 000 - 760 000 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also consider experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact: Dr. Kiran Raja (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Prof. Dr. Christoph Busch (email@example.com), https://www.ntnu.edu/nbl, http://www.christoph-busch.de.
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact: Katrine Rennan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: 2022/15788.
Application deadline: 22.05.2022..
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Information Security and Communication Technology
Research is vital to the security of our society. We teach and conduct research in cyber security, information security, communications networks and networked services. Our areas of expertise include biometrics, cyber defence, cryptography, digital forensics, security in e-health and welfare technology, intelligent transportation systems and malware. The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 22nd May 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service NTNU Campus Gjøvik