Associate Professor in History and Philosophy of Science
- Full time continuing position, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of History and Philosophy of Science
- Opportunity to make valuable contributions to teaching and learning design and practice
- Base Salary Level D $163K p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint an Associate Professor with interests in philosophy of biology, general philosophy of science and research methods in History and Philosophy of Science (HPS). The successful candidate will have a strong academic track record in these research areas and a track record in student mentoring and research skills development. The role will play a significant role in leading or contributing to the academic endeavours within their discipline/ School/ Faculty. The position contributes to fostering a culture of excellence through their own expertise and through guiding academic staff and students towards success.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- maintain and build their reputation by actively contributing to research and scholarship, academic debate
- involved in policy development and innovation within the University and beyond
- build and maintain reputation of academic excellence
- make original and innovative contributions to the advancement of research and education within the discipline which are internationally recognised as outstanding
- ensure outstanding teaching and learning outcomes
- proven contribution to research, education, and administrative activities
- contribute to a positive workplace culture within the School and the strategic direction of the University.
The School of History and Philosophy of Science consists of an outstanding group of researchers and has a strong record in attracting grant funding and in terms of publication output. As a discipline, it has received the highest grade - 5 - in the recent Australian Research Council's Excellence in Research in Australia (ERA) survey. The School of HPS is part of the Faculty of Science and draws undergraduate and postgraduate students from both science and the humanities. It enjoys excellent relations with departments in the Arts faculty (in particular Philosophy and History), as well as with medicine, leading to innovative collaborations in research and teaching.
To learn more about the School of History and Philosophy of Science click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Associate Professor who has:
- a PhD in a relevant field (or a closely related discipline)
- an understanding of and ability to lead and support an academic endeavour from curriculum design to producing leading research and providing a student enabling environment
- a national or international reputation, supporting research profile including competitive research grants, publications, and evidence of recognition within the broader research community
- a sustained record of excellence in teaching and learning design and practice.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Monday 13 June 2022 11:59 PM