Phd in Engineering Solutions, Construction Processes and Methods
About the position
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is looking for PhD candidates for the interdisciplinary research project "Green Move". The project focuses on several aspects of moving high quality topsoil from development sites to establish new agricultural fields in alternative areas. This practice has gained much attention in Norway lately, due to increases in repurposing of arable land in a country where agricultural areas are scarce.
The research project Green Move has several PhD positions, and this position is connected to WP 4 and will focus mostly on engineering solutions, construction processes and methods for moving agricultural soil in infrastructure projects. Please consult www.ntnu.edu/greenmove to learn about the project as a whole and how the different PhD-projects are linked together.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
You will report to Head of Department
Duties of the position
- Participate in the Green move project and work together with the other participants to make the project interdisciplinary
- Participate in planned mobility inside the Green Move project to secure co-operation with the other participants/partners
- Disseminate project results to the scientific and public community through publications, conference participation and through national conferences and magazines
Required selection criteria
- You must have a relevant educational background in civil or agricultural engineering, or similar relevant fields
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the IV faculty's doctoral program
- Good written and oral English language skills
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Experience from relevant laboratory or field experiments work
- Good written and oral Scandinavian language skills
- Open for interdisciplinary co-operation
- Interest in agriculture, land conservation and engineering solutions
- Analytic and curious
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- participation in an interdisciplinary research project with several interested research and industry partners.
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
- possibility to periodic visit to different offices according to tasks in the project with possible office at, SINTEF (Trondheim) and NMBU (Ås)
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Civil and environmental engineering within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English or Norwegian.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and how your work can contribute to the Green Move project
- Name and address of three referees
- Publications or other relevant research work if you have any
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Inge Hoff, telephone: 73 59 47 31, e-mail: email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Amalie Nyeng, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Application deadline: 24.05.22
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We conduct research and teaching in civil and transportation engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering and hydraulic engineering. Graduates from our programmes become employees – in both the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 24th May 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service NTNU Trondheim