Post-doctoral Position in Regional Economics
Post-doctoral position in Regional Economics (specialization in tourism and/or innovation and regional development) at the Department of Regional Economics and Administration
Department: Department of Regional Economics and Administration – Faculty of Economics and Administration
Deadline: 5 Jun 2022
Start date: September, 1st 2022 or later
Job type: full-time
Job field: Tourism and accommodation | Economics and finance | Science and research
Excellent background in the latest empirical methods, as well as a desire to apply research of innovation and/or tourism to the context of regional economics and development is expected. The candidate should be an independent researcher with a promising research agenda. Ongoing research in the latest trends in innovation and/or tourism in regional development is required.
The postdoc’s primary responsibility is to conduct research on innovation and/or tourism in regional development, to contribute to ongoing projects and to acquire external research grants on relevant topics. The position involves a reduced teaching load (up to 4 hours per week).
We are looking for:
- a full-time Post-doctoral researcher (candidate with academic title PhD in regional economics or related area)
- a researcher with interest in regional economics, tourism, regional competitiveness, development of innovation, regional policy and related areas
- an expert with excellent background in the latest regional economics empirical methods
- a candidate whose previous research should demonstrate the publication potential in leading scientific journals in regional economics, tourism, innovation and related research areas
What do we offer?
- Earliest starting date of the contract is the September 1st, 2022, a later starting date can be negotiated
- The contract is full-time (40 hrs/week) and, based on experience and seniority, the salary goes up to €2,500/month in gross wage (average wage in Czech Republic is around 1500 EUR, median wage is 1300 EUR)
- A 3-year initial contract, with possible prolongation for further years.
- Possibility of subsidized university housing and relocation support
- Friendly and international working environment
- Opportunities for professional growth (e.g., university seminar series, internships, exchanges, participation in research projects)
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career
- Employee benefits (8 weeks of paid vacation per year, contribution to meals, contribution to pension savings, language courses, university cinema, exclusive mobile tariff, sport activities, vaccination)
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic university city
About the workplace
Masaryk University (MUNI) is an academically diverse and research-intensive university with a strong commitment to high-quality research and education. The university offers an inspiring research and teaching environment to its 35,000 students and 5,500 employees.
MUNI is located in the university city of Brno, Czech Republic. Based on the most recent OECD Better Life Index data, Czech Republic ranks next to the US and the UK. Proximity to nature and other historical cities (e.g. Prague, Vienna, Budapest), variety of cultural and entertainment attractions, and top personal safety, make Brno one of the top 100 university cities in the world according to students. More details could be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kal6NSc_Nc
Faculty members conduct quality research with peers from other Czech, European, and American universities. Members of the faculty have published in journals such as Journal of The Knowledge Economy, Journal of Urban Economics, Land Use Policy, European Planning Studies, Cities, Journal of Cleaner Production. The administrative staff is experienced in helping researchers with both national and international grant applications.
Application and selection procedure
The application shall be submitted online by the June 5th, 2022 (11:59 p.m., CET) via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below). Interviews for the position will be held online or in-person at Masaryk University.
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter with a description of your research agenda,
- A full professional Curriculum Vitae including the complete bibliography of published works,
- Job market paper and up to two other research papers,
- A copy of documents proving the qualifications attained,
- Up to three recommendation letters.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
For further information about the position and the department, please contact Head of Department of Regional Economics and Administration Vladimír Žítek, e-mail: email@example.com.
If you need help uploading your application or have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact the head of HR department Eva Karkošková, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of personal background. The selection process is based on an Open Transparent Merit-based Recruitment Policy. Masaryk University does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities or decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or sexual orientation. The faculty holds the HR Excellence Award.
Workplace: Faculty of Economics and Administration, Masaryk University, Brno, Czechia
Type of Contract: temporary academic position with 3-years contract with possible prolongation for further years
EU Researcher Profile: R2
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: September, 1st 2022 or later
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: 5th June
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Prof. Mgr. Jiří Špalek, Ph.D.