Director (College of Business & Economics: School of Economics)
Industry: Education & Training
Job category: Education and Training
Campus: Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
Contract: Fixed Term Contract
Remuneration: Market Related
EE position: EE
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy (https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
UJ seeks to appoint a dynamic, vibrant and innovative academic with a commitment to global excellence and stature to head its School of Economics (SoE) as Director (Associate Professor/Professor).
The core activity of the SoE is to train economists in various fields of Economics (Financial Engineering, Industrial Economics and Trade Economics.)
The school consists of the following distinct clusters:
- Development Economics.
- Financial Engineering.
- Local Economic Development (which includes CENLED – Centre for Local Economic Development).
- Industrial Policy (which includes the Institute for Economic Development and Planning (IDEP) program).
- Research cluster.
- Public and Environment Economics Research Centre.
- Centre for Competition Regulation and Economic Development
- MCom by Research and PhD cluster.
The undergraduate and the honours programmes are designed in such a manner that it prepares students (in terms of content and econometric skills) for the various magister and PhD programmes:
- Masters in Financial Engineering.
- Masters in Economics.
- Masters in Local Economic Development.
- Masters in Industrial Policy.
- Masters in Competition and Regulation.
- Masters in Development Economics.
A full PhD programme is also offered by the SoE.
The Director of SoE must ensure that the School contributes substantially to tangible business improvements in Africa, notably through the practice and development of marketing analytics to inform, evaluate and optimise campaigns, by enriching strategy with contextual knowledge and to employ technology in achieving organisational goals.
The Director should be able to position the School to be regarded as a valuable partner by the private and public sector for consultation and collaboration. The role will provide managerial and strategic leadership to ensure the achievement and maintenance of the highest possible standards of excellence in all activities of the School by:
- Providing strategic leadership to ensure excellence in teaching and learning at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Determining, articulating, implementing and leading strategic initiatives to enhance the School's reputation and performance in teaching and scholarship in accordance with the strategy of the College of Business and Economics and the University's strategic plans and objectives aimed at enhancing global excellence and stature.
- Providing strategic leadership to ensure productive, innovative and influential research and promoting transformation in terms of its academic profile, academic programmes and research.
- Providing academic citizenship and leadership in establishing and maintaining strong networks with the private and public sector and related institutions in South Africa and beyond.
- Promoting the visibility of the School through networks, partnerships and collaborations with the private and public sector and with civil society, in projects of local, African and global interest and active participation in debates on critical issues and policy.
- Leveraging external resources and grow third stream income, and ensure financial sustainability of the SoE.
- Promoting world-class management education and pedagogy, including online programme development and the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Ensuring the highest level of School governance, administration and systems functioning, including enrolment planning, management of students' academic lifecycle and risk management.
- Actively promoting transformation in the School, in terms of the staff profile, academic programmes and research.
The ideal candidate will be in possession of:
- A PhD in economics/econometrics or related discipline.
- Proven experience in university related academic governance.
- An excellent academic/professional record of accomplishment.
- A good standing in the academic/public/private sectors and senior management/public sector experience.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of professional staff, students and programmes.
- Track record of research/innovation relevant to the context of the School.
- High level governance, management, administration and systems abilities, including financial acumen and public accountability.
- Results driven, forward thinking, dynamic and innovative.
- An excellent public profile and media savvy complemented by academic/professional rigour.
- A track record of successful teaching, post graduate supervision of completed master and PhD students.
- Interdisciplinary scholarship at a senior level in the field of economics as well as knowledge of the higher education sector.
- Excellent leadership, managerial and interpersonal skills and should have attained substantial academic standing to command the respect of the members of the School.
- An excellent research reputation evidenced by a sustained record of research output.
- Evidence of effective external engagement (academia, business community and wider society) is highly desirable and applicants must demonstrate a commitment to such activities with the ultimate goal of building long-term relationships and funding with key stakeholders globally which are in aligned with the School’s mission and strategy and UJ’s vision as a leading African institution of higher education with an outstanding global stature.
- A track record of successfully securing both national and international funding.
- UJ’s promotion criteria will be applied when shortlisting for this post.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT:
- By default, this is a five-year fixed-term contract position. Subject to financial sustainability and exceptional performance, the candidate may be renewed for another five years.
- The university will also consider exceptional and/or NRF-rated academics, for a fall-back or tenured academic position. The evaluation will be subject to successful attraction of external funding.
The normal retirement age is 65. Consideration will be given to candidates who would able to serve for a five-year term.
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES:
- Good leadership and managerial skills.
- Knowledge of Human Resource Management.
- Ability to conduct and apply research and provide research leadership.
- Ability to build relationships and networks.
- Ability to oversee high-level execution of mission and vision.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, and coordinate multiple inputs with tight deadlines, and a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with academic faculty and to facilitate high levels of performance.
- Ability to relate to the student experience of studying towards a leadership qualification.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate ability to problem solve.
- Building and maintaining productive relationships.
- Excellent organisational, planning and multi-tasking skills.
- The ability to work autonomously with personal drive and energy and to take responsibility and be held accountable for role outcomes.
- Excellent attention to detail whilst understanding the bigger picture and being able to communicate the same to senior staff and external stakeholders.
- Excellent delegation skills.
- Flexibility, tenacity, resilience and assertiveness.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and the ability to adapt communication to a range of audiences.
Rated by the National Research Foundation (NRF) or meets the criteria for NRF rating in the South African system (incumbent will be required to apply if not rated; see https://www.nrf.ac.za/rating).
Enquiries regarding job content and application: Mr Eugene-Joshua Mouton, HCM Business Partner, Tel: 011 559 3878
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to email@example.com
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.