Research Fellow, School of Pharmacy
Application closing date: 23/05/2022
Salary: £34,304 per annum.
Job category/type: Research
The School of Pharmacy at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Research Fellow.
The successful candidate will be an active member of the Biofunctional Nanomaterials group, led by Dr Garry Laverty, supporting the development of an enzyme-responsive peptide-mimetic hydrogel for the sustained injectable delivery of antiretroviral drugs.
The successful candidate must have and your CV/Cover letter (or application form) should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Have or be about to obtain (evidence of submission or awaiting viva exam) a PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Pharmacy or closely related area
- At least 3 years recent relevant practical research experience of peptide-mimetic synthesis (liquid and solid-phase synthesis of peptides, peptoids, beta-peptides), advanced methods of drug conjugation, purification and identification
- Experience in optimising the chemical synthesis of peptide-mimetics to provide at least gram-scale yield to high (>95%) purity
- Experience in efficiently converting peptide/peptide-mimetic trifluoroacetate salts to acetate and/or hydrochloride salts
- Experience of spectroscopic (NMR, mass spectroscopy) methods relevant to peptide material characterisation
- Experience in drug purification and quantification by HPLC.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list.
This is s fixed term contract available until 28 February 2023.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria please visit www.qub.ac.uk/jobs or click to Apply.