2022 Assistant Professor for Ed.D. Program in Educational Leadership
About Wenzhou-Kean University
Wenzhou-Kean University (WKU) is approved by the Ministry of Education of China. Launched in 2012, WKU offers a unique model of higher education in partnership with Kean University, a comprehensive, public university in the state of New Jersey that is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. WKU sits on approximately 500 beautiful acres and currently enrolls about 3,500 undergraduate students, and it is now in the midst of a rapid growth that will bring enrollment to 7,000 students within the next five years. All instruction is in English, and all curriculum is provided by Kean University. In addition to its current 18 undergraduate programs, WKU has been approved by the Ministry of Education for offering 8 Master’s and 3 doctorate programs. Wenzhou is one of the most vibrant and economically advanced developed cities on China’s East Coast, located one hour by plane and just over three hours by high-speed train from Shanghai.
Wenzhou-Kean University currently offers the following degree programs: Doctor of Educational Leadership (Ed.D.), Biotechnology Science (M.S.), Computer Information Systems (M.S.), Instruction and Curriculum (M.A.), Global Management (M.B.A.), and Architecture (M. Arch.); Finance (B.S.), Accounting (with emphasis on international standards and practices) (B.S.), Global Business (B.S.), Marketing (B.S.), Management (Business Analytics option/ Supply Chain & Information Management option) (B.S.), Economics (B.S.), Graphic Design (B.F.A.), Interior Design (B.F.A), Industrial Design (B.I.D.), Architectural Studies (B.A.), Computer Science (B.S.), Mathematical Sciences (Data Analytics Option) (B.A.), Biology (Cell and Molecular option) (B.S.), Chemistry (B.S.); Earth Science (Environmental Science option) (B.S.); English (English in Global Settings option) (B.A.); Psychology (General option/ Forensic Psychology option)(B.A.); and Communication (Public Relations option) (B.A.). In addition, WKU has a substantial commitment to the teaching of ESL/EFL.
About the Job:
WKU launched its first doctorate program: Ed. D. program in Educational Leadership in the fall of 2020. The program received an overwhelming response and we enrolled 11 students as our first cohort. In the fall of 2021, we enrolled 14 students, although we received around 100 applications. We see tremendous growth in this program and would like to expand our faculty numbers to meet the current and future demands. Hence, we are seeking two vibrant faculty members to teach a full range of graduate courses including, but not limited to Political Policy Analysis, Organization Theory and Change, Legal and Policy Issues in Education, School and Community Partnerships, Educational Leadership and Decision-making, School and Community Partnership, and Education Research. Applicants must have at least one year of college teaching experience and must have an ongoing agenda for research and are expected to publish research outcomes in reputable journals. Applicants are expected to advise students to develop dissertation topics and assist in all aspects of the writing process to produce a high-quality dissertation. In addition to teaching and research, faculty members are expected to contribute to the growth of the programs, including, but not limited to curriculum development, program assessment, student recruitment/advisement, office hours, and internship opportunities.
Our new faculty members are expected to begin working with us in time for teaching Fall 2022 classes. These positions will be offered at the rank of tenure track Assistant Professor level or lecturer level. The tenure-track positions are 10-month full-time assignments. Tenure-track faculty are required to teach 24 credits per academic year. However, 6 credits will be released and reassigned to student-engaging research endeavors each academic year. Tenure-track candidates should demonstrate strong scholarly capability and publish in internationally recognized and vigorously peer-reviewed journals in the field. Tenure track candidates are expected to develop extramurally funded research programs involving students, which is essential for the tenure and promotion. The University will provide start-up grants to support the candidates to start their research programs. The lecturer position is a 10-month full-time assignment, and is a non-tenure-track position and may be renewed on an annual basis upon satisfactory performance in teaching and service. The lecturer is required to teach 30 credits per academic year
The faculty members are required to participate in the full range of faculty responsibilities, including high-quality teaching, research, advising; student learning support; service to the university and/or professional community.
Teaching assignments and related responsibilities may include day, evening, weekend, and online courses. Interest or experience in using advanced instructional technologies to improve the teaching/learning process is highly desirable.
- The desired candidate will have an earned doctorate in Educational Leadership/Administration with experience as a principal and superintendent highly desirable. In addition, the ideal candidate will have research experience and working with doctoral students during the dissertation process.
- A minimum of one year of teaching experience at the post-secondary level and English fluency.
- Desirable but not necessary: Thorough practical knowledge of statistics for research including Structural Equation Modelling and knowledge of statistical tools like AMOS is desirable, but not necessary.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Please send a cover letter, resume, statement of teaching philosophy, a research statement describing research interest, past accomplishments, comprehensive list of research projects and publications, research plan (for tenure track positions only), unofficial transcripts, and contact information of three professional references by email to Search Committee Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts for all degrees and three current letters of recommendation are required before appointment.
Faculty positions at WKU offer:
- Annual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with the range from $70,010 to $77,270 for tenure track assistant professors, and $66,630.00 to $71,760 for the lecturer.
- The University will provide start-up grants to support the tenure track faculty to start their research programs.
- Income tax exemption is depicted by a tax treaty between China and some countries (for example, the United States).
- A well-rounded healthcare coverage, academic travel up to $2,000, housing options and subsidy up to $3,000, home traveling up to $6,000 (2 international round-trip airfares), a reimbursement to cover relocation expenses up to $1,000, shuttle bus to campus for work.
- WKU tuition waiver up to 80% for spouse/dependent children of faculty for undergraduate programs. And tuition discount of local private/international kindergarten, elementary, middle, and high schools for children of faculty.
- A collegial environment.
- The opportunity to teach high quality students. About 45% of graduates have been admitted to the graduate schools at the World’s Top 50 Universities, and about 60% of graduates at the World’s Top 100 Universities.
Wenzhou-Kean University conducts background screenings on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background Screenings.