Research Associate in Synthetic Biology
- Full time, fixed term for 12 months with opportunity for further offers subject to funding
- Opportunity to work as part of a multidisciplinary research team on an ARC discovery grant
- Base Salary, Level A, $95,047 - $105,305 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Centre for Advanced Food Engineering (CAFÉ) at the University of Sydney is looking for a researcher to drive an industry sponsored research in the field of cellular agriculture. We are looking for an outstanding, motivated and independent synthetic biologist to develop a novel bio-technological platform for the production of protein and cellularized edible scaffolds. The researcher will join a multidisciplinary research team and be mentored by national and international researchers with expertise in the fields of bio-engineering, genetic engineering and tissue engineering. This is an opportunity to develop many aspects of their academic career, engage with industry partners in the field of bioengineering and strengthen national and international collaborations in the emerging field of cellular agriculture.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Research Associate who has:
- a PhD in cell biology or synthetic biology, or equivalent
- extensive experience in hexapod cell culture, cell line development and cell immortalization with TERT
- a demonstrated track record in developing cell cultures and media formulation
- experience with molecular biology methods and immune-cytochemistry
- research training experience, including experience in the supervision of PhD and Honors students
- a track record of working collaboratively across different research disciplines
We are ideally looking for a candidate with experience with LC-MS, particularly lipidomics as well as experience with elemental analysis and macronutrients profiling.
To apply for this role, please address the following points in a cover letter that you attach to your application:
- Outline your research experience in cell biology, synthetic biology, cell line development and media formulation.
- Provide example of your experience in LC-MS, particularly lipidomic as well as experience with elemental analysis and macronutrients profiling.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Linden Joseph or Rebecca Astar, Recruitment Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For specific enquiries about the position please contact Peter Valtchev email@example.com.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Sunday 29 May 2022