Research Assistant Professor, Chinese Herbal Medicine and Gut Microbiology
SCHOOL OF CHINESE MEDICINE
Applications are invited for the following post in the Centre for Chinese Herbal Medicine Drug Development, which is located in the Hong Kong Science Park.
Centre for Chinese Herbal Medicine Drug Development
Funded by the Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) of the Hong Kong Government, the Centre for Chinese Herbal Medicine Drug Development Limited (the Centre) was established in September 2020 to accelerate the development of Chinese Herbal Medicine (CHM)-based drugs and serve as a strategic platform to promote collaborations among local and international researchers, institutions and industry. The Centre aims to achieve the goal by enhancing the quality of pre-clinical and clinical CHM research and transforming the results into pharmaceutical products for international markets. In particular, the Centre develops treatments and cures for diseases such as ulcerative colitis and chronic constipation. It also supports the incubation of new CHM-based pharmaceutical start-ups that will target the global market, and nurtures talent for CHM research in Hong Kong.
Research Assistant Professor (Chinese Herbal Medicine and Gut Microbiology) (PR0371/20-21)
The appointee is expected to perform the following roles:
- conduct high quality and innovative research to explore the role of gut microbiota in mediating the effects of Chinese herbal formula on human health and develop microbiome-targeted therapeutic remedies;
- supervise research staff and PhD students;
- apply external competitive research grants; and
- undertake any other duties as assigned.
- a PhD degree or equivalent in microbiology or related disciplines;
- at least three years of postdoctoral training with extensive experience in microbiology or human/animal microbial ecology;
- proficiency in microbiology techniques including anaerobic culture, strain isolation and identification;
- a very strong track record in appealing external grant record and outstanding publication in the above-mentioned research areas or experience in publishing SCI paper as the first author;
- innovative and creative with good planning and organisational skills; and
- the ability to multitask.
Initial appointment will be offered on a fixed-term contract of two years. Re-appointment thereafter will be subject to mutual agreement.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are invited to submit their applications at the HKBU e-Recruitment System (jobs.hkbu.edu.hk). They are requested to send in samples of publications, preferably three best ones out of their most recent publications. Applicants should also request two referees to send in confidential letters of reference, with PR number (stated above) quoted on the letters, to the Human Resources Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) direct. Those not invited for interview 4 months after submission of application may consider their applications unsuccessful. All application materials including publication samples, scholarly/creative works will be disposed of after completion of the recruitment exercise. Details of the University's Personal Information Collection Statement can be found at http://hro.hkbu.edu.hk/pics.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment for the post advertised, and the appointment will be made according to the terms and conditions applicable at the time of offer.
Closing date: Until the position is filled