Lecturer/Assistant/Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor, AI and Advanced Computing
1 day left
- Full Time
SCHOOL: School of Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Computing (AIAC)
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Computer science, data science, artificial intelligence, networking and communication, systems engineering
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate professor depending on qualifications and experience
CAMPUS: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University [XJTLU], Taicang Campus
Range of Annual Base Pay:
Lecturer: 280k-320k RMB
Assistant Professor: 360k-400k RMB
Associate Professor: 450k-490k RMB
Senior Associate Professor: 540k-580k RMB
Professor: Above 620k RMB, negotiable
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s education, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
POSITION OPEN DATE: 28th April 2022
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 27th June 2022
JOB ID: 1781
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time; Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The school is one of 7 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), and there is the capacity to grow further within the college to a total of 10 schools. Common to each School is an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company, which has been jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching.
The School of Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Computing has been jointly developed by the University and one of its industry partner, Sugon, to deliver the industry-themed programme(s). The first undergraduate degree programme that the School launched in the Academic Year 2019/2020 was BEng Data Science and Big Data Technology.
Sugon is a leading enterprise in the field of high-performance computing, server, storage, cloud computing, and big data in China. It is a national high-tech enterprise formed on the foundations of the significant scientific and technological achievements made under the National 863 Programme and with the strong support of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. For more information, please see https://www.sugon.com/en.
Responsibilities and Duties
We are looking for future colleagues from candidates in all the fields of computer science, data science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, networking and communication, and systems engineering who can:
- engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches;
- understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative spirit, in line with the ethos of the campus and college;
- deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners;
- supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students;
- conduct high-quality research, evidenced by publications in leading journals;
- demonstrate an ability to develop and deliver research proposals and applications/bids for external funding;
- promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies;
- promote, manage and contribute to the delivery of an effective programme of academic staff development to ensure academic staff are equipped to deliver high quality teaching;
- promote best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders;
- ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive learning experience, as evidenced through student satisfaction, personal development and positive degree outcomes, and to work with industry partners to achieve this;
- provide administrative service to the School, the University, and its stakeholders.
- A PhD degree in computer science, data science, artificial intelligence, networking and communication, systems engineering or a closely aligned discipline; or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching with knowledge of relevant developments in learning and teaching practices.
- Familiar with current developments in research with ability to identify appropriate research options, methods and theoretical perspectives. Knowledge of best practice in research methodology.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills enabling effective interaction internally and externally.
- Be willing to take further teaching training courses under the UK Professional Standards Framework (PSF).
- Fluency in English.
- Strong team-work spirit.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Angelos Stefanidis, Dean of School by email on Angelos.Stefanidis@xjtlu.edu.cn
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.