School of Education & Social Sciences
Post: Research Assistant
Salary per annum: £9,295.53 (AC1.1 for 7 months)
Part time (0.4 FTE), 7 months
THE POST – Research Assistant in Psychology
A 7-month fixed-term Research Assistant (RA) position is available two days per week in the Division of Psychology at the University of the West of Scotland. The successful candidate will join the research project “The expression and perception of the left-cheek bias across the lifespan in autistic and non-autistic individuals” led by Dr Bianca Hatin and Dr Carrie Ballantyne, and funded by the British Academy/Leverhulme Trust. The project focuses on how emotion is perceived and expressed in autistic and neurotypical individuals.
A critical part of the project is recruiting and tracking data from adult and child participants, and liaising with key stakeholder groups (local educational authorities, charities, and professionals). The ultimate aim of the project is to identify key differences that may aid communication and expression between neurotypes. You will join a dedicated team who strive to continuously inspire our students and wider University community – and, through modern teaching and impactful research, continue to deliver innovative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- Good honours degree in Psychology
- Understanding of quantitative research methods
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a research team
- IT skills, especially experience in the use of statistical packages including SPSS and Excel
- Some research experience with neurodiverse groups would be an asset.
University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Education & Social Sciences at UWS combines sector-leading education provision with strong expertise in social science teaching and research in the west of Scotland and beyond. You will join a supportive and committed team, playing a crucial role in the School’s commitment to social justice and making a difference locally, nationally and internationally. Our students benefit from innovative, practice-focused and research-informed courses, and deep-rooted partnerships with leading organisations across the world. Find out more about our School of Education & Social Sciences.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Closing Date: 13 May
Interview Date: 23 May
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.