Associate Librarian, Reference & Instruction Services, Executive
The Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) Library seeks a creative, curious and energetic individual to connect its information services and resources to the SUSS community and enhance user experiences through innovative library outreach. The incumbent will work closely with the Research, Instruction and Outreach Librarian to provide research support and instruction services and play a key role in the day-to-day operations of the Library. He or she will be part of a lean team, working collaboratively to support the learning, teaching and research activities of the SUSS community.
- Provide reference assistance and research consultation services to SUSS community. May involve evening/ weekend virtual and physical information desk shifts.
- Provide information literacy instructions and workshops.
- Plan and participate in library orientation programs and other outreach activities.
- Develop responsive outreach and other information services; Develop and deliver communications, promotion and outreach strategies and initiatives that serve to inform and engage the SUSS community.
- Coordinate and produce content on the Library’s primarily electronic resources/ collections and services for library blog, social media, publications and collaterals, website/ Intranet, digital signage, events, and other digital and print publicity channels.
- Manage the library website, including updating, monitoring usage and optimising access.
- Work with colleagues and other stakeholders to enhance student engagement and to create and update online guides, tutorials and other digital learning objects on library research skills.
- Analyse, monitor and report on usage and feedback on services and the effectiveness of promotion and marketing activities and programmes.
- Establish policies, procedures and workflows for library outreach and user engagement and ensure operational efficiency and compliance with University policies. Provide training to staff as required.
- Lead and/or participate in library-wide and university-wide initiatives and special projects as needed.
- Identify and evaluate emerging trends and developments relevant to academic libraries and higher education, particularly in the areas of communications and marketing, research support and instruction, and recommend best practices for a digital-first library.
- Engage in continuous development, and serve the Library and University through representation on internal and external committees, where required.
- Recognised degree, preferably in journalism, marketing, public relations, communications, humanities or related fields.
- 2-3 years of library and information experience, preferably in an academic library, or a higher degree in library science or information management.
- Experience creating a wide variety of written communications (newsletters, marketing announcements, web content, internal communications, etc.) and working with web publishing tools such as LibGuides and WordPress.
- Proficient in the use of graphic and media tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, and social media platforms.
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, strategies and trends in communications, public relations or marketing.
- Excellent analytical, organisational, and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects successfully.
- Excellent writing and editing skills that demonstrate a command of the English language, clarity of thought/ presentation and the ability to write for a specific audience.
- Highly service-oriented with excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as foster teamwork and collaboration with internal and external parties.
- Ability to take a user-centred approach in the provision of library services.
- Ability to be adaptable and thrive in an evolving work environment.
- Keen interest in emerging library and digital trends and technologies.