Director Department of Enrolment and Student Administration
DEPARTMENT OF ENROLMENT AND STUDENT ADMINISTRATION
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 3
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Director: Enrolment and Student Administration is responsible for providing leadership and direction to the comprehensive Department of Enrolment and Student Administration (DESA), which aligns with and supports the vision and strategy of the University. The following divisions: Recruitment and Enrolment, Student Systems, Student Administration and Student Services report directly to this position. The Director is the functional line manager for the Heads of Student Administration who are based at faculties.
The Director: Enrolment and Student Administration must have a rich and deep professional understanding of best practices in strategic enrolment management and a high level of initiative and motivation to execute the institution’s enrolment goals and strategies. A key focus of this position is ensuring that the University’s brand and reputation is upheld by providing quality enrolment services, student systems, user support and student administration that ensures that student services are fully optimised for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The Director: Enrolment and Student Administration will collaborate with the relevant Executive, Deans, Directors and faculty administration to identify opportunities for the development of innovative academic processes and procedures that are aligned to the University’s strategy. This position will develop initiatives that improve student administrative services, that are innovative, and that position the University to compete both locally and internationally.
The successful incumbent’s key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Providing strategic leadership, support and decision-making for the department as well as offering strategic support to Executive Management as and when required;
- Enhancing and building on the reputation and image of the University of Pretoria by providing user-friendly, integrated, reliable systems with a strong focus on customer equity and service;
- Aligning the activities of the Department to serve its strategic focus and that of the University;
- Providing leadership, decision-making with regard to the department’s operational performance and monitoring and reporting back to Executive;
- Initiating and influencing policy at macro level by providing strategic information to the Executive;
- Establishing and maintaining effective work relationships and communication channels with internal and external stakeholders and other relevant entities;
- Monitoring compliance across the institution with regards to applicable legislation, regulations and national policy directives;
- Compiling and managing the department’s IT, Human Resources and Operational budgets on an annual basis in collaboration with the Deputy Directors, in line with the University’s financial policies and regulations;
- Maintaining and monitoring adherence to high levels of integrity and acceptable ethical standards;
- Building and maintaining professional, authentic, collaborative and transparent relationships with Executive Management and other senior management within the university.
- A relevant Master’s degree;
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in strategic and operational management in a higher education institution of which at least 5 years should be in a middle to senior management capacity;
- A minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience in marketing, enrolment processes, student systems, and student administration processes;
- At least 8 years’ proven experience in and knowledge of, inter alia:
- Stakeholder management; Change management; HR and Financial matters; Business process analysis and reengineering;
- Proven experience in designing and implementing business plans/proposals.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office Suite, online/cloud environments);
- In-depth understanding of systems, cross-cutting management and ability to innovate at institutional level;
- In-depth knowledge and experience of PeopleSoft Campus Solutions systems;
- In-depth knowledge of the Higher Education landscape, statutory, policy and regulatory aspects;
- Outstanding leadership and development skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Ability to work independently but also function effectively as part of a team;
- Ability to produce high quality work under pressure;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Adaptability and decisiveness;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent data interpretation / analysis and report-writing skills;
- Ability to manage time and priorities effectively and work in a pressurised environment.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- A management qualification or short courses in management, e.g. Management Development Programmes;
- A relevant Doctoral degree;
- Knowledge of student systems;
- Proven track record of research and international conference presentations.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 22 May 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Sithembile Mbuyisa, Tel: (012) 420 4091
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2022 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.