The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centers, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position of a Senior Scientist at the Department of Environmental Geosciences
Reference number: 12827
The Department of Environmental Geosciences is an international and dynamic team of approximately 20 scientists that conducts research and provides education in environmental science with a focus on environmental analytics of aquatic and terrestrial systems. Among other topics, we study the environmental fate of organic and inorganic pollutants. As a Senior Scientist you lead the management of our organic analytics laboratory and contribute to research and education at the department. With your open-minded, flexible, and reliable personality, you sustain laboratory operations at our department.
This position (40 hours/week) is initially limited to an employment duration of 1 year with the option for a permanent position, based on mutual agreement (we are seeking a long-term engagement in our department), start at the earliest possible date.
Salary level according to collective agreement: §54 VwGr. B1 lit.b (postdoc), Euro 4.487,80 gross per months, paid 14 times a year The actual salary may be higher, based on your expertise and experience on the guidelines of the university of Vienna.
- Lead and coordinate the management and organization of our research laboratory; responsibility for analytical instruments and laboratory infrastructure
- Develop and improve analytical methods in environmental organic trace analytical chemistry; conduct experiments and perform data analysis
- Teach BSc- and MSc-level classes in the area of environmental sciences as defined by the collective agreement
- Identify the demand and give advice for selection of new instruments; conduct purchases and act as our contact point to instrument manufacturers
- Guide and advice students and researches from undergraduate to post-doctoral level concerning laboratory operations and safety
- You hold a PhD in a field relevant to environmental analytical chemistry and have proven expertise in the analysis of organic chemicals at trace levels/environmental concentrations by means of HPLC-MS/MS and/or GC-MS/MS including suitable data analysis software. Expertise with additional analytical chemical techniques (e.g., elemental analysis, spectroscopy) and with sample preparation techniques (e.g. extraction, enrichment, digestion) is desired.
- You are curious, well organized, reliable, inspiring, and able to take decisions under time pressure.
- You are communicative and want to become a part of a motivated, international, and diverse team of researchers.
We are looking forward to receiving your application (cover letter, CV including contact information of 3 references, relevant transcripts), which you should submit under the vacancy number 12827 to our job center Please send your application as ONE single PDF document.
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 31.05.2022, mentioning reference number 12827.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.