Research Fellow / Senior Research Fellow, Fashion and Textiles
Fashion & Textiles
Location: Winchester School of Art
Salary: £31,406 to £50,296
Full Time Fixed Term for 24 months
Closing Date: Sunday 22 May 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow
Location: Winchester School of Art
Salary: £31,406 to £38,587 (Research Fellow); £39,739 to £50,296 (Senior Research Fellow)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Research Fellow or a Senior Research Fellow to join a multidisciplinary team to develop a wearable medical device for knee joint pain management. The project is funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC) and involves collaboration across four faculties at the University of Southampton.
You will work on a project that aims to develop an electrotherapy product with embedded pain relief and movement monitoring functions for the management of knee joint pain due to osteoarthritis. You will work closely with other researchers within the project team (e.g. physiotherapist, textile designer, user interface designer) and industrial collaborators. The main responsibilities include:
- Development of Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) sensor electronics and a kinematic model for joint movement measurement.
- Development of electronics and firmware for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), and electrical muscle stimulation (EMS).
- Development of a wireless control system and supporting User Interface (UI) development.
- Conducting regulatory compliance tests in house and liaising with subcontractors for external tests to demonstrate compliance with the safety requirement standards.
- Contributing to the ISO 13485 Quality Management System and Technical Documentation development required for medical device regulatory approval (e.g. UKCA marking).
- Optimising the system to address end user and regulatory requirements
- Preparation of reports and publications
- Supporting dissemination activities (e.g. workshops, exhibitions)
You will ideally have expertise in medical product development and preferably have a track record developing electronic and sensor products for healthcare applications. Candidates with industrial experience are strongly encouraged to apply. This is an opportunity to join an expanding and fast moving area of research at the University of Southampton at the start of a new project. You will have opportunities to develop and consolidate your skills through collaborating with project collaborators from the industrial and healthcare sectors.
This post is open to both Research Fellow and Senior Research Fellow candidates. Please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification and apply to the Level which matches your expertise and experience.
Applications for Research Fellow positions will be considered from candidates who are working towards or nearing completion of a relevant PhD qualification. The title of Research Fellow will be applied upon successful completion of the PhD. Prior to the qualification being awarded the title of Senior Research Assistant will be given.
This role is being offered on a full-time, fixed term basis for 24 months.
For informal enquires about this post, please contact Dr Kai Yang: firstname.lastname@example.org
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Jane Sturgeon (HR Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 4043 or email email@example.com Please quote reference 1789622FH on all correspondence.