Post-Doctoral Researcher, Onisilos Fellowship Programme
No. of Position(s) : 50 (2 Year)
Category : Two-year contract
Location : University of Cyprus (UCY)
The University of Cyprus, invites Postdoctoral Researchers to express their interest for fifty (50) full-time Postdoctoral Research positions under the research programme titled “ONISILOS - Co-funding International, Interdisciplinary and Intersectoral research excellence at the University of Cyprus”. The programme is co-funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme 2014-2020 and more specifically under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action (Grant Agreement No 10103440) and the University of Cyprus.
ONISILOS FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME
ONISILOS is a 60-month fellowship programme with a duration from 01/01/22-31/12/26. ONISILOS will fund fifty (50) 24-month fellowships for Experienced Researchers (ERs). Two rounds of calls for proposals will be announced according to the table below.
Calls: 1st call
Expression of Interest deadline: 15/05/2022
Application Deadline: 05/09/2022
Starting dates of the fellowships: Between 01/01/23-30/06/23
Number of fellowship: 30
Calls: 2nd call
Expression of Interest deadline: 15/10/2023
Application Deadline: 30/01/2024
Starting dates of the fellowships: Between 01/06/24-30/11/24
Number of fellowship: 20
Fellows will be selected following an open, transparent, merit-based, impartial and equitable selection procedure, based on international peer review. The selection committee will bring together diverse expertise, have an adequate gender balance and include members from other countries with relevant experience to assess the candidates and evaluate the content of the research proposals.
Three external experts for each proposal will be selected based on their academic background, research excellence and relevance to the proposed field. The selection of the experts will be based on their expertise as evidenced by the quality of research output, geographic and gender balance, reviewing experience, experts based in the non-academic sector, involvement in policy etc. The UCY database of experts will be used, alongside international databases of scholars such as Scopus, Google Scholar etc. All experts will declare beforehand any known conflicts of interest and will inform the responsible staff member if they detect a conflict of interest during the evaluation.
The proposals received by ERs will be evaluated against award criteria applying weighting factors. All the separate elements of each criterion will be considered by the evaluators in their assessment and aggregate evaluation scores will be awarded for each of the three criteria.
The ONISILOS programme will give the flexibility to ERs to select from a wide range of scientific topics and promote the intersectoral character of the project. In order to support applicants through the entire selection and evaluation phase, the ONISILOS portal will offer guidance and clear feedback. The platform provides a list of the research areas as well as the corresponding UCY academics that act as supervisors for helping the ERs to make their choice. The platform allows the fellows to choose any scientific area, independently of their PhD field.
Fellowship proposals should involve a secondment organisation, preferably from the non-academic sector when it is relevant for the selected field of interest, in which the fellow will be seconded for a period from 1 to 3 months. UCY will provide an indicative but not exhaustive list of options that could be offered as secondments and training opportunities to the ERs. The goal is to expose fellows to complementary research and training environments, by having the opportunity to:
- Participate in well-established technical and transferable-skills training
- Participate remotely in courses and tutorials;
- Benefit from secondments in non-academic sector, and from the relevant know-how;
- Participate in targeted short visits
- Attend training events organised by the involved organisations including seminar and tutorial sessions, offering an opportunity to interact with other fellows and senior researchers
- Participate in writing joint publications and make joint presentations on various interdisciplinary topics
- Participate in trainings to develop their own Data Management Plan.
- The programme is designed for Experienced Researchers (ERs) of any nationality. Researchers must hold a PhD degree of a recognized higher education institution before the deadline of the relevant ONISILOS call for proposals. Researchers who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply provided that they can document their successful defence of the thesis.
- ERs must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Cyprus for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the co-funded programme's call deadline(s) or the date of recruitment. Exceptions and relaxation of these terms could be applied on cases like career breaks, work outside research, research outside Europe for reintegrating researchers.
Fellows will be recruited under an employment contract of two (2) years. Employer and employee contributions will be deducted from the amounts below, which do not include a 13th salary bonus.
The monthly salary includes the following allowances
- €3.540 Living allowance per month
- €300 Mobility allowance per month
- €200 Family allowance per month (if applicable)
Fellows, during the application phase, will have the opportunity to request an extra budget for research purposes like conference participation, seminar registrations, consumables etc.
Employment conditions will be aligned with the “Charter & Code for Researchers” regulations.
Following their appointment at the University of Cyprus, fellows must be based in Cyprus and situated physically at the University of Cyprus buildings in order to participate in the academic life of UCY and to organise academic activities such as workshops, public talks and other activities that will contribute to the intellectual life of the university.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST PROCESS:
Candidates should submit their Expression of Interest via the ONISILOS portal following the steps below.
- Create an account by using their email address and a personal password. A valid email address should be used, since all further correspondence will be communicated to this email address.
- Fill-in their profile information such as personal, contact and educational details, employment history, place of activity / place of residence during the last 5 years (most recent one first).
- Upload an updated two-page CV in a PDF format
- Add their expression of interest by clicking the blue button as shown below
- Fill in the Title of their potential project.
- Fill in the Summary section. One-page research proposal (3000 characters), aligned with one of the stated scientific and sub-scientific areas. In the summary, fellows should explain their ability to carry out their research proposal within the framework of the fellowship project. They should also indicate the alignment of their academic training, research career and previous experience that substantiate their choice and state their expectations about the impact and how the fellowship could help them develop a successful research career, inside or outside the academic environment.
- Fill in three keywords related to their potential project.
- Choose from the drop-down list a Scientific and a Sub-scientific field. The sub-scientific field is thought to be seen as ground for developing the summary of the potential research project.
- Choose from the drop-down list their Scientific Supervisor to ensure a two-way knowledge transfer between the candidate and UCY.
As soon as the expression of interest is submitted correctly, candidates will receive an automatically generated email receipt that the expression of interest was submitted. The receipt may end up in the Junk Folder of the applicants’ email inbox, so please it needs to be ensured that the confirmation email after submission has been received.
The candidates will be informed of the pre-selection results no more than three weeks after the expression of interest deadline.
For more details and other information, interested individuals may contact the Research and Innovation Support Service by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: +357 22 894323.
After the expression of interest an application phase will be announced.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
Few words about the Host Institution - University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus (UCY), the largest in the country, is a public institution established in 1989 and comprises 7 Faculties, 22 Departments, 14 Research Units and 116 research laboratories. Despite its brief history, UCY is internationally recognized for its active research community. UCY ranks in the 1st place amongst institutions from all WIDENING countries in secured funding from H2020 in absolute terms and 135th of more than 40.000 unique participants with secured H2020 funding of over €75 million. UCY has successfully implemented hundreds of externally funded research projects to date, including several funded through ERC, MSCA, and the WIDESPREAD programmes of H2020. In particular, UCY has secured 31 MSCA-IF projects out of a total of 42 secured by Cypriot organisations in H2020. UCY is an Endorser of the “European Charter for Researchers” and accredited with the “HR Excellence in Research” logo, ensuring commitment to research and working conditions. Since December 2019, UCY has become an official EURAXESS Service Centre for Cyprus. Please visit the following link UCY for more information about UCY.