The Faculty of Arts and & Humanities is looking to appoint an outstanding candidate with experience of academic research management to this diverse and rewarding role.
As a line manager and team leader in staff and student-facing teams, the post-holder will be responsible for managing the research activities of four units in the Languages & Literatures Cluster, including research grant awards and Postgraduate Research students.
The post-holder will work closely with the Head of Cluster Administration, Heads of Department, the Vice Dean (Research), the Faculty Research & Engagement Manager and the relevant central University directorates to ensure departments are able to provide an excellent research environment for their staff and Postgraduate Research students. They will play a key role in managing and contributing to the Research, Impact and Knowledge Exchange culture of the Cluster and the Faculty.
The successful applicant will have exceptional communication and negotiation skills, and demonstrable experience of seeing through change and improvement initiatives. They will have the ability to lead others and contribute effectively as part of a team.
The Faculty actively supports the development of a respectful, positive, and supportive culture, which sustains excellence and fosters growth, both for individuals and for the Faculty’s professional services as a whole. We are committed to supporting our staff in a range of ways from considering flexible working and job share arrangements to facilitating and encouraging continuing professional development activities.
This post will be offered on a full-time, indefinite contract.
- To co-ordinate research support administration, including line management of the research team, in order to ensure departments comply with College and Faculty operating processes and procedures.
- To collaborate closely with Departmental Research and Impact Leads through regular meetings, in order to develop an in-depth and up-to-date understanding of the departments’ research profiles and opportunities for development
- To lead on the administration of support for Postgraduate Research students and supervisors within the Cluster, including compliance with processes, procedures, and regulations
- To undertake any other reasonable duties that may be requested by the Head of Cluster Administration, Research & Engagement Manager, or other appropriate senior colleague.
- To feed in to Faculty levels work and discussions in the area of research management
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. Thorough understanding of the UK research funding landscape and application procedures including a good knowledge of the regulatory framework which governs universities with particular respect to financial administration and the requirements of research grant funding bodies.
2. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with evidence of building good working relationships with stakeholders at all levels both internally and externally.
3. Excellent administration and organizational skills with a high degree of attention to detail and a good level of numeracy
4. Ability to manage time effectively, work flexibly and prioritise workload
5. An aptitude for line management
6. Ability to manage and influence upwards
7. Experience of working with PURE or other research-related databases or software.
8. Ability to actively support Postgraduate Research students and supervisors
1. Experience of working within the Higher Education sector
2. Experience of line management
3. Experience of identifying research grant opportunities
Interviews will be held during the week of 23 May 2022