Research Associate, Department of Medicine
The National University of Singapore invites applications for the role of Research Associate for research project title “Non-invasive right atrial pressure measurement” in the Department of Medicine, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
The Department of Medicine is highly involved in both basic science and applied research. The PI has a passion for medical technology innovation in cardiology field and has received numerous grants in this regard. There is strong support for research in the department. This project is also supported by A/Professor Leo Hwa Liang from Biomedical Engineering, National University of Singapore.
For more details about the Department of Medicine, please see: https://medicine.nus.edu.sg/medi/
For more details about the PI, please see: https://www.nuh.com.sg/patients-visitors/Pages/find-a-doctor-details.aspx?docid=Lim_Yinghao
Appointments will be made on a 12-month contract basis in the first instance, with the possibility of extension.
Purpose of the post
The Research Associate will be responsible, and work closely with, the Principal Investigator and study team members to ensure the successful development of a prototype, and completion of clinical trials.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with a passion for medical research to assist in the development of a novel non-invasive method of estimation of right atrial pressure to save patient costs, reduce morbidity, and improve follow up and titration of therapy.
The team has earlier developed a unique to be applied at a landmarked area over the right internal jugular vein. Early demonstrations have shown excellent correlation against non-invasive blood pressure measurements when transduced against the radial artery. In further testing with an internal jugular vein phantom with simulated patient waveforms, the sensor has also shown good results and correlation. At present, we are moving to clinical testing and are looking for passionate researchers to develop the device further and complete clinical trials.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Associate will liaise with all relevant parties to:
- Oversee the general management of the project;
- Provide administrative and secretarial support to the project, such as organising regular meetings to maintain regular communication with other members of the research team and collaborate with the study sites;
- Undertake the day to day running of the project at the study sites, e.g.
- Develop the prototype in NUS labs, data collection and analysis, assist in clinical trials in a hospital.
- Conduct literature searches, and analyse data and maintain trial database, as well as assist in preparing both progress and final reports of the project;
- Improve the prototype design through continued hardware and software improvements;
- Assist in the conduct of clinical trials;
- Maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and record keeping in accordance with policies and procedures;
- Assist with any other duties of a similar nature that are delegated by the PI.
The applicant should:
- Have a first degree with good results or holds a Master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering or equivalent; preferably with some experience in research;
- be able to work independently and in a team, have an investigative nature, attention to detail;
- and have experience and expertise in experimental setup and investigations;
- and have knowledge of programming skills, e.g. Matlab, Python, C++ Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department : Medicine
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 8275