[AY 22-23] Dean of College of Health Sciences
- VIN UNIVERSITY
- Hanoi City (VN)
- Commensurate with experience
- 15 Apr 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 15 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Other Health & Social Care
- Job Type
- Senior Management & Heads of Department, Deans, Heads of department / Chairs of department, Other Senior Management
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term, Permanent
- Full Time
THE COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES
The College of Health Sciences (CHS) aims to advance health care in Vietnam and the world through leading education, innovative research, and technology. Our mission is:
- To develop world-class research and providing outstanding health care education
- To pioneer the country’s health sciences education and reform
- To attract and develop healthcare leaders to advance health sciences locally and globally.
With a vision to advance health care through research, the College of Health Sciences will also offer research opportunities in all our programs and provide a supportive research environment for our faculty and students. Taking advantage of being in the ecosystem of Vingroup with a number of technology and service-oriented companies such as Vinpearl, Vinhomes, VinFast, VinAI, VinBigdata, VinBrain etc., the College will cooperate closely with these companies in research to create breakthrough technology & healthcare products and solutions.
As a strategic partner, Vinmec Healthcare System – the leading private, not-for-profit health care provider in Vietnam, which currently encompasses 7 hospitals and 4 outpatient clinics throughout Vietnam (with more than 1,600 beds), together with its medical research institutes and centers. Vinmec is the only healthcare provider in Vietnam offering 2 hospitals with Joint-Commission International (JCI) accreditation (in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city). The Vinmec Times City in Hanoi is our primary teaching hospital for the College of Health Sciences. It received the first JCI accreditation in 2015, the re-accreditation in 2018, and is currently the only teaching hospital in Vietnam with JCI recognition.
Currently, the College offers undergraduate degree programs in Nursing and Medicine while there are three residency programs offered i.e. in Internal Medicine, Surgery, and Pediatrics. All of the health sciences programs are competency-based, developed with the University of Pennsylvania’s technical support. With UPenn’s certified and validated curricula, world-class international and Vietnamese faculty members, modern pedagogical approaches, and infrastructure at the forefront of technology, we will prepare our students to become healthcare leaders, innovators, and scientists with an entrepreneurial mindset and as prospective agents of change in the future.
- VinUni virtual tour: https://vinuni.edu.vn/visit/
- VinUniversity – University of Pennsylvania collaboration: https://www.med.upenn.edu/vingroup-penn-alliance/
- VinUniversity – Cornell University collaboration: https://business.cornell.edu/faculty-research/vinuniversity-project/
- VinFuture Prize: https://vinfutureprize.org/vinfuture-foundation/
With the retirement of our founding Dean of the College of Health Sciences – Professor Maurizio Trevisan, VinUniversity is looking for a visionary leader, with strong administrative leadership and experience in academic medicine, to be the next Dean of the College of Health Sciences. The candidate should have a distinguished record of academic excellence in research and education and qualify for the rank of Professor.
The Dean is the chief intellectual and administrative leader of the College and its undergraduate (Medicine and Nursing) and graduate (Residency programs in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and General Surgery) programs. The Dean reports to the Provost and collaborates with the other Deans/Head of Faculty of VinUniversity to foster a strong and committed interdisciplinary and interprofessional approach to education and research.
PRINCIPAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure alignment of the College of Health Sciences with VinUniversity’s vision and mission. Contribute to define and achieve the University financial and strategic goals.
- Propel VinUniversity along its path to becoming an emerging world-class institution. As such, the Dean must work with faculty to develop a strong research portfolio.
- Promote, encourage, and incentivize interdisciplinary collaborations within the College and the University and with other academic and research Institutions in Vietnam and across the world.
- Ensure that the academic programs of the College are well placed with respect to the peer and aspirational academic institutions and programs.
- Develop new academic programs aimed at fostering the academic growth of the Institution.
- Play a key oversight role in the accreditation process and program review for continuous improvement of the College programs.
- Recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff, providing them an environment conducive to their professional development.
- Oversee the development of strategies aimed at recruiting and retaining outstanding students and trainees.
- Nurture and support the close symbiotic relationship between the College/University and the affiliated Hospitals.
- Support mutually beneficial partnerships between the College and the healthcare industry, not-for-profit organizations, and other educational and research institutions.
- Coordinate and manage the activities of the College Academic Advisory Board.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- MD or MD/PhD from a US-accredited institution and the credentials required for appointment as a distinguished professor.
- Demonstrated experience with LCME and ACGME accreditation .
- Successful experience in progressively responsible teaching, administrative, and educational leadership positions at a high-quality academic institution.
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision preferably of a large and complex academic institution.
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English) and strong professional network.
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new University, with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to effectively resolve challenges and build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the College/University.
- Respect and appreciation for the core values of VinUni: EXCEL (E: Empathy, X: Exceptional Capability, C: Creativity, E: Entrepreneurial Mindset, L: Leadership Spirit).
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via https://apply.interfolio.com/105639 and submit (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume and (3) two recommendation letters.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Work permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, work permit, insurance, etc.).
- According to Vietnamese Law, expatriates are required to submit all necessary documents for a work permit on the first day in Vietnam. For more information about the necessary documents, please refer to the information in this link.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.