Office and Business Support Coordinator
The Policy Institute works to overcome society’s challenges with evidence and expertise. We combine the rigour of academia with the agility of a consultancy and the connectedness of a think tank. Our research draws on many disciplines and methods, making use of the skills, expertise and resources of not only the institute, but the university and its wider network too.
The Policy Institute at King’s College London is looking for a financially astute and customer service focused administrator to work front of house. In this fast-paced role, the Office and Business Support Coordinator will support the Head of Administration and Institute Business Manager in delivering a professional and efficient business support service, with a focus on general office and financial management.
Acting as the first point of contact to visitors to the Institute and regularly liaising with internal and external stakeholders, the incumbent will be responsible for regular communication with suppliers and with central services teams. They will be required to maintain robust records and assist with matters of GDPR compliance, recruitment administration, financial record keeping, health and safety, space planning and a variety of other operational activities as and when required. This is a varied role, which would suit a positive and highly professional individual with a can-do attitude.
N.B. Applicants should be aware that the post holder is expected to be on site at the Holborn office from 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Thursday with Fridays working from home (if they wish to do so).
This post will be offered on a full-time, indefinite contract.
- To serve as the first point of contact for internal and external stakeholders, providing fast and efficient service delivery.
- To act flexibly in undertaking the variety of administrative and financial duties in the business function •
- To provide executive administrative support, including diary management to the Head of Administration.
- To manage records and receipts; reconciling daily, monthly and yearly transactions.
- To maintain electronic and manual filing systems on SharePoint and Microsoft Teams in accordance with GDPR.
- To act as a H&S committee or meeting secretary should the Business Manager require it •
- To provide administrative support and/or run a range of general and ad-hoc projects; such as administrative support for the Institute’s mentoring and internship schemes.
- To respond to both internal and external enquires in a professional and informative manner.
- To have an interest in and ability to use and learn online systems and platforms, such as Unit 4 Business World, People XD, In-Tend, SharePoint, Teams and Zoom.
- To be aware of and act in accordance with King’s Financial and Procurement Procedures; setting up new suppliers and advising on process.
- To undertake a range of procurement activities in accordance with King’s Financial Procedures, such as, raising purchase orders, adding new suppliers to the system, processing one off payment forms and raising sales invoices.
- To routinely identify expenditure and track non-pay budgets using Microsoft Excel.
- To manage the kitchen rota each month and report any issues with upkeep when necessary.
- To actively audit budget codes and transactions to ensure correct allocation and management; requesting journal transfers as and when required.
- To provide administrative support for various HR processes, especially recruitment.
- To undertake activity in support of staff onboarding process; ensuring IT equipment is ordered and desks are set up ready for new starters.
- To be responsible for local space and infrastructure matters such as ensuring common areas are presentable, reporting issues and finding appropriate resolution.
- To work with the Business Manager on space planning requirements, liaising with Estates & Facilities and other contractors and suppliers when required.
- To act as a Display Screen Equipment (DSE) Assessor, First Aider and Evacuation Marshall.
- To set up internal team meetings, order catering , set up IT equipment and meeting room layout.
- To manage the holiday booking process and records.
- To order and maintain a record of office suppliers, stationery and other inventory.
- To offer ideas regarding general office management to the operations team and work alongside the relevant post holders to ensure processes and procedures and effective and efficient.
- To provide general administrative support for business continuity and risk management.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. A first degree or equivalent experience
2. Strong IT skills, including Windows, Microsoft Office packages; intermediate Excel, Outlook and SharePoint, and willingness to advance these skills.
3. An ability and interest in learning new IT systems and programmes as required for the role.
4. Excellent communication and negotiation skills, both oral and in writing.
5. Excellent time management and organisational skills and ability to respond to changing priorities.
6. Previous experience in an administrative and/or customer services role in a higher education environment.
7. Highly numerate, with previous experience of basic financial record keeping as well as raising POs, processing invoices, expense claims. An interest in expanding financial capabilities would be an asset.
8. An interest in UK public policy.
9. Proactive approach with the ability to work independently and flexibly, but also as part of a team.
10. Professional and positive attitude with an aptitude for making others feel welcome/comfortable.
11. Accuracy and good attention to detail.
12. The capacity to handle confidential matters with discretion.
1. Evidence of further training/ CPD or other in relevant subject area; finance, accounting, project management, customer service etc.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion are core values at the Policy Institute. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered and comfortable in the workplace.