Graduate Research Officer
Role type: Full time/Fixed-term until December 2023
Faculty: Faculty of Arts
Salary: Level 5– $75,011 – $86,158 p.a. plus 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About the faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts at the University of Melbourne brings together leading scholars across 40 disciplines of study in the Humanities and Social Sciences. Our academic staff are of international standing and committed to excellence in teaching and research. The Faculty is home to the University’s first degree, the Bachelor of Arts, which is one of the most sought-after degrees in Australia, consistently attracting outstanding students from around the country and internationally.
About the Role
The Graduate Research Officer will provide high-level support for the Faculty’s Research Training activities. The Graduate Research Officer position operates within a shared services environment that supports the Faculty’s Research Training activities, working collaboratively with other members of team to coordinate and manage graduate research events, faculty and school committee support, selection and scholarship scoring, candidature management, study space allocation and funding requests.
In a typical week at work, you may:
- Assist with the management of graduate research student support, including candidature matters, progress reporting, funding requests, study space allocation, selection and student enrichment activities.
- Provide accurate advice and interpretation on University Policy to students, academic supervisors and Research Training Coordinators as required
- Support the Faculty and School Research Training Committees, including working with the Chairs to set the agenda, record the minutes and action items and assist with the preparation of committee papers and reports.
You are a confident communicator with the ability to effectively communicate with a range of stakeholders including students and academics. You also have strong problem-solving skills and judgement to analyse problems and provide appropriate solutions.
Ideally, you will further have:
- A tertiary qualification or a mix of education and relevant experience.
- Ability to interpret and apply complex policies and procedure to structure and present information clearly and consistently to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Experience in providing committee support including minute taking, preparing papers and communications.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities or culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at email@example.com.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
Position description: 0034359_Research Officer PD.docx
Applications close: 15 APRIL 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time