Researcher in Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience
About the position
At theDepartment of Information Security and Communication Technology(IIK), we have a vacancy for a externally funded research position in critical infrastructure security and resilience. The researcher will work on sponsored and commission-based research and development projects in the areas of
- Threat intelligence
- Cybersecurity and safety
- Cybersecurity awareness
- Risk management
for critical infrastructure and cyber-physical systems.
The position creates an opportunity for more collaboration with other research disciplines such as security management, safety engineering, and policymaking in addition to the focus areas mentioned above.
The position's working place is NTNU campus in Gjøvik.
Duties of the position
- Daily coordination and operation of the Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience research group
- Research and innovation activities on sponsored and commission-based projects
- Research project preparation and acquisition
- Contribution to teaching including continuing education
- Contribution to supervision of bachelor, master and doctoral students
- Participate in the management of research, education and other relevant academic activities in agreement with the department
The position requires frequent participation at national and international forums and will require frequent travel activities.
Required selection criteria
- A degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in information security, computer science, or equivalent, with focus on the cybersecurity of critical infrastructure and/or cyber-physical systems.
- Experience with development and operation of sponsored and commission-based projects (e.g. projects for external funding bodies such as the European Commission and the Research Council of Norway)
- Track record with publications on relevant research areas in credible journals and conferences.
- Good written and oral English language skills.
New employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language by appointment is required, within three years, to demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three of the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Our knowledge production has civilian objectives. However, the position is likely to be involved with or generate dual use products, technology or services restricted by export licenses or ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations). Applicants that are citizens of Norway, Australia, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, EU or NATO countries are eligible. Other applicants are required to provide evidence of eligibility to use such equipment for their application to be considered/in their application. Furthermore, all international applicants will be subjects to induvial assessments according to the applicable guidelines for export control.
Preferred selection criteria
- Good written an oral Norwegian language skills
- Experience with project coordination
- Experience with policy development
- Experience with standardization activities
- You set challenging goals and work hard to meet these
- You collaborate with others across established structures
- You develop extensive and realistic plans with both short and long time perspectives
- You can compromise and identify the needs of others to create win-win situations
- You learn from your experience and feedback from others.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of Researcher (code 1109) is normally remunerated at gross from NOK 560 000 - 760 000 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU
The position is subject to external funding (ta stilling til om stillinger skal være betinget av ekstern finansiering).
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- A motivation letter, including a high level research plan, not exceeding 1500 words
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description not exceeding 300 words of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also consider experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Prof. Sokratis Katsikas, telephone 91138581, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Katrine Rennan, e-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: 2022/7180
Application deadline: 15.03.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Information Security and Communication Technology
Research is vital to the security of our society. We teach and conduct research in cyber security, information security, communications networks and networked services. Our areas of expertise include biometrics, cyber defence, cryptography, digital forensics, security in e-health and welfare technology, intelligent transportation systems and malware. The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 15th March 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service