Associate Dean, Industrial Design
- Critical leadership and management role in the School of Design
- Academic level D/E + 17% Superannuation and Flexible Working Arrangements.
- Fixed-term, 3 year contract with underlying ongoing position at D/E level
- Based in the heart of Melbourne at our city campus
About the College and Portfolio
The College of Design and Social Context encompasses RMIT University’s renowned art, architecture, design, built environment, communication, and social science disciplines. The School of Design comprises the disciplines of Industrial Design, Digital Design (including animation, games and digital design) and Communication Design.
About the role
The Associate Dean Industrial Design is a critical leadership and management role in the school, responsible for driving L&T quality, research leadership and industry engagement for the discipline. In doing so, the Associate Dean is expected to work across disciplines and schools to deliver effective L&T and R&I outcomes.
The Associate Dean is accountable for providing strategic and academic leadership and management to the discipline, consistent with the University and College strategic plans and objectives, and for contributing at a senior level to the strategic planning and development of the school. This is an integrated leadership role that includes learning & teaching, research and industry engagement.
As Associate Dean Industrial Design, you will play a vital role in leading the discipline as it faces the challenges of climate change, digital disruption, new forms of design and making/manufacture, and evolving social and cultural practices and expectations. You will work with the discipline team across the undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs.
As a member of the school executive team the incumbent is required to work collaboratively with all members of the management team and with staff to ensure that the school achieves its strategic objectives.
To be successful in this position, focused within the discipline of industrial design, you’ll be required to have the following:
- Strong leadership skills and experience in initiating, leading and managing academic teams and projects in a collegiate environment to deliver strategic objectives
- High level of interpersonal, communication and negotiating skills including the ability to liaise with senior executives and external bodies
- Demonstrated experience in providing L&T leadership and expertise that contributes to improved student outcomes
- Substantial record of academic, research and professional achievement in an area relevant to the discipline, and the capacity to exercise academic leadership to enhance the standing of the School nationally and internationally
- Demonstrated strong commitment to key College strategic priorities including: reconciliation; praxis (integrated, practice-led, industry-engaged, teaching and research); the UN Sustainability Goals; and cross-disciplinary academic collaboration which delivers meaningful outcomes for our students and external stakeholders.
PhD or demonstrated equivalence, combined with knowledge and achievements that meet the professorial criteria
A Working with Children check is required for this role.
Please submit your CV and address Key Selection Criteria 1-4 within the Position Description and attach as a separate document (max 2 pages).
Click ‘Apply’ via the link below.
For further information about this position, please see Position Description below or contact Professor Laurene Vaughan, Dean School of Design via email firstname.lastname@example.org
PD Associate Dean Industrial Design.docx.pdf
Applications close 11:59 pm on Sunday 27th February 2022
The COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions, made under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic) and as amended and replaced from time to time (Directions), affect all persons employed or engaged to perform work by RMIT.
As such, offers of employment from RMIT are conditional upon the applicant being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory evidence of the same. You can access the Directions here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorias-restriction-levels-covid-19
27 Feb 2022 11.59 pm
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia’s immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak here.
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.