Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Teaching Academic
- $103,101 - $144,971 (ALB/ALC) plus 17% superannuation
- 3 year fixed term, full time
- Opportunity for on-going career development
Job Reference: 841503
The School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences comprises the quantitative disciplines across Computing, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics and Astronomy. Mathematics and Statistics.
Our discipline of Mathematics and Statistics offers a range of courses which will equip students with the necessary mathematical and statistical expertise to deal with problems encountered in an increasingly technological world. Curtin University collaborates with some of the most innovative companies in Australia and internationally, with whom we work to keep our courses applied, relevant and well regarded to ensure our graduates are highly employable.
Your new role
An exciting and rare opportunity exists for a candidate with strong statistical, analytical and modelling capabilities to teach undergraduate units within the professionally accredited Actuarial Science and expanding Data Science courses, including the opportunity to collaborate with the Data Science Hub located at Curtin.
Delivered by the discipline of Mathematics and Statistics, the teaching team brings extensive applied and research capabilities to the actuarial science and data science courses. The team is highly engaged with the local business community, has a strong foundation in statistical and data analysis and leverages their wide-ranging industry experience to deliver these highly regarded courses.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a candidate with extensive quantitative, problem solving, statistical and analytical experience, whether an early-career PhD graduate wishing to expand their teaching expertise or an experienced actuary or applied statistician wishing to share their knowledge with students enrolled in these vibrant, keenly sought after courses. This exciting and innovative role will allow you to make original contributions to learning and teaching and deliver high-quality teaching in the area of Applied Statistics.
Teaching duties include:
- Conduct learning activities, online or face-to-face as appropriate, which stimulate and foster student learning.
- Keep abreast of current discipline theory and practice and apply these in teaching and learning.
- Develop innovative curriculum design and learning materials in collaboration with other colleagues as appropriate, taking a leadership role if appointed at Level C.
- Undertake a range of administrative functions connected with the subjects taught, including unit co-ordination and moderation and assessment of student work.
- Supervise the program of study of honours students and postgraduate students engaged in coursework.
- A doctoral qualification in Applied Statistics or closely related discipline; and/or an actuarial qualification, either an Associate or Fellow of Actuaries Institute (or equivalent)
- Proven high level teaching skills with a demonstrated reflective approach to teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching applied statistics, actuarial statistics and related data science subjects at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- A strong understanding of pedagogical theory and contemporary educational practice relevant to the discipline.
- Demonstrated high level communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to foster the development of a collegial and supportive learning environment.
Why choose Curtin?
- Easily accessible location with great parking, bus station and end of trip facilities
- State of the art offices and agile working.
- A flexible benefits package with excellent superannuation provisions.
- A vibrant campus with an array of food options, gym, child care, wellness programs, medical and counselling services.
- Wellness is part of our culture, and we encourage positive lifestyle choices through a range of activities and initiatives.
- Opportunity for on-going career development and opportunity to attend national and international conferences.
- Work has commenced on the extension to Curtin’s facilities; Exchange is dedicated to being an industry-connected innovation precinct.
- A major global player, with well-integrated campuses in Singapore, Malaysia, Mauritius and Dubai.
For further information on Curtin and all of our employee benefits visit https://about.curtin.edu.au/jobs/
COVID 19 – Vaccination Policy
Candidates should note that some Curtin University positions are covered by the Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces. www.wa.gov.au/government/announcements/mandatory-covid-19-vaccination-policy-wa-workforces
If the position you are applying for is covered by this policy, you will be required to provide evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination status (or formally granted exemption) prior to commencing employment.
To apply, please complete the online application form via the link below, noting we cannot accept resumes sent to the below email address.
Please include a cover letter, resume and separate document addressing the selection criteria (outlined above) to enable us to assess your suitability for the role.
To view a copy of the Academic Role Statement for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser:
Applications close: 9:00PM AWST, Friday 25th February 2022
If you have any queries in relation to the application process please contact our careers team at email@example.com.
If you would like to speak to a technical specialist please contact Associate Professor Jo-Anne Morgan, Program Director Actuarial Science on 08 9266 2399.
Inclusion and Diversity at Curtin
We are committed to ensuring that Curtin has an inclusive environment, free from harassment, in which all students, staff and the community feel respected, valued and welcome.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, women, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and are committed to making reasonable adjustments to enable people with disability to participate fully in our recruitment, selection and appointment processes.
We have received recognition in this area:
- Voted one of Australia’s Inclusive Employers for 2019-2020 (Diversity Council of Australia).
- One of the first Universities to receive accreditation for an Elevated Reconciliation Action Plan.
- Achieved Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation (2018-2022).
- Voted 16th best workplace for new dads in Australia (HBF - Direct Advice for Dads, 2019).
Curtin reserves the right at its sole discretion to withdraw from the recruitment process, not to make an appointment, or to appoint by invitation, at any time. We reserve the right to remove the advert earlier than the date on the advert.