About King’s Online
King’s Online is part of the new School for Professional and Continuing Education, it was formed in 2015 and develops a range of fully online courses and programmes. Following the appointment of a new Director, the team is embarking on an ambitious growth strategy and this is one of several new roles being advertised. You’ll be joining us at an exciting time as we seek to redefine online education and realise King’s strategic ambition of being the leading provider of online and blended learning by 2029. The role is primarily based at King’s Strand Campus though you may be required to travel to other campuses on occasion. As part of King’s trial of hybrid working, all team members can work remotely for part of the week if they wish.
About the role
The purpose of the role will be to support the team on numerous and varied tasks. You will be responsible for the quality assurance of the content we produce. As part of the King’s Online team, you will also provide insight on workflows and procedures, flagging issues where necessary.
There will be a particular focus on achieving and maintaining accuracy, consistency and quality in everything that we produce. We are looking for someone with a can-do attitude, who can work autonomously and with a mindset about how we can constantly improve what we are doing.
This is an excellent entry level position for anyone looking for a career in e-learning.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent.
- Copyediting and proofreading of the content, while comfortable using several style guidelines depending on the programme (ie, King’s In-house Editorial Style Guide, etc.), also ensuring consistency in the layout.
- Performing functionality checks
- Ensuring the content is accessible
- Reviewing content on different platforms, such as Keats (King’s E-Learning And Teaching Service), Future Learn, Google docs, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, etc
- Using quality assurance (QA) tracking tools to log QA issues and ensure their resolution
- Making sure that media transcription and captioning are accurate and accessible by:
- Tracking the transcription progress
- Amending and correcting the captions/transcriptions once available on the third-party service platform
- Downloading the transcription files from the third-party service
- Formatting and uploading transcription files to the final platform (for example, Keats, FutureLearn) as required
- Testing the videos to ensure the captions work correctly and the transcript accurately reflects the video content
- Assisting the team to edit content in Keats or Future Learn when necessary
- Being up to date with workflows and processes and being able to support the team in identifying and solving issues
- Working well with project planning software (eg, Trello)
- Updating quality assurance process documentation.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Excellent time management and organisational skills
2. Excellent written and oral communication skills
3. Very strong attention to detail
4. Ability to work independently and as part of a team - very strong collaboration skills
5. Excellent computer skills (Microsoft, Office, various project management tools, VLE tools or similar)
6. Knowledge of Moodle LMS
7. Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
8. Able to work under pressure and to set and meet challenging deadlines
1. Experience of distance learning or other technology enhanced learning
2. Experience of working in the Higher Education sector