Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor, School of IME
SCHOOL: School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Mechanical, manufacturing, advanced/intelligent manufacturing, mechatronics, electrical and electronics, controls, materials, or robotics engineering; industrial/engineering management, internet of things, artificial intelligence, data science and analytics
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate professor depending on qualifications and experience
CAMPUS: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University [XJTLU], Taicang Campus
Senior Associate Professor: 45,087 – 47,778 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 51,292 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Associate Professor: 37,573-41,797RMB (with the opportunity to go to 44,413RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Assistant Professor: 30,207-33,273RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 37,011RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Lecturer: 24,076-26,618RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 29,759RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 21 January 2022
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 15 April 2022
JOB ID: 1904
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time; Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem OVERVIEW:
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is one of the seven industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) for teaching and research collaboration, a one-stop School Office providing professional services to support student administration and activities, members of staff, and industry partners, and an affiliated School Joint-Venture Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s partner for industry-embedded teaching, learning, practical, and other activities. The governance of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the Taicang campus.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is jointly developed by the University and an industry partner, Haier Group, to deliver the industry-themed programme(s). The first-degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BEng Intelligent Manufacturing Engineering with Contemporary Entrepreneurship.
Haier Group is a leading global provider of better-life solutions. In the process of continuous entrepreneurial innovation, Haier has transformed from a traditional manufacturing enterprise into a win-win IoT community ecology, leading global companies to take the lead in detonating the Internet of Things economy. For more information, please see http://www.haier.net/en/.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
We are looking for future colleagues from candidates in all the fields of electrical engineering, materials, mechatronics, robotic systems, artificial intelligence and data analysis, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics who can:
- Understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset, in line with the ethos of the College.
- Deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners.
- Supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students.
- Provide administrative service to the School, the University and its stakeholders.
- Maintain a sustained record of successful PhD supervision.
- Work collaboratively with relevant School(s), College and University entities to identify opportunities for meaningful and genuine partnership and successful impact-creation for research.
- Conduct high-quality research, evidenced by publications in leading journals.
- Maintain good, sustained, and successful research grants and consultancy contracts.
- Create, develop and manage successful research partnerships with academic institutions, industry and external organisations.
- Support innovative cross-disciplinary research and become an ambassador for the School for the promotion of cross-boundary research and teaching activities.
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset in line with College ethos.
- Contribute to the school’s teaching development through mentoring and supporting early career academics (Associate Professor and above).
- Any other appropriate tasks assigned by the University or College through the Dean of School.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is adopting a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position will attract individuals embodying these SE values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The School seeks academic members who thrive by creating impact through authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery, and action-oriented inquiries. These creative educators adopt a systems mindset and use their knowledge, skills, and experiences to co-design and deliver an enriching educational experience for students. They view education as an integrative and life-long transformative process.
- A doctoral research (normally PhD) degree in mechanical, manufacturing, advanced/intelligent manufacturing, mechatronics, electrical and electronics, controls, materials, or robotics engineering; industrial/engineering management, internet of things, artificial intelligence, data science and analytics or a closely aligned discipline, or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching.
- Clear understanding of the philosophy and concept of Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Demonstrable past teaching/industry experiences or practices aligned with Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Be willing to take further teaching training courses under the UK Professional Standards Framework (PSF).
- Fluency in English.
- Strong team-work spirit.
- A good track record of engagement with business and industry.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Relevant industry experience.
- Appropriate research experience for the corresponding academic position level.
- Experience in block teaching.
- An institutional builder, able to work with wider disciplines across the Taicang campus.
- For non-Chinese applicants, two years, full time, same subject teaching in a college/university is required by the Chinese work permit policy.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in PDF format that includes 3 parts:
- A cover letter (maximum one A4 page) articulating your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Eng Hwa Yap, Dean of School by email on EngHwa.Yap@xjtlu.edu.cn
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the recruitment officer.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.