Lecturer, Department Of Science, Mathematics And Technology Education
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE, MATHEMATICS AND TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for teaching, research and supervision in Physical Science Education:
- The curriculum development of and lecturing of modules in the programme(s) based in the department;
- In addition, the incumbent will pursue research activities such as own research, research-based publications and the supervision of post graduate students registered in the department;
- Develop, present and co-ordinate undergraduate and postgraduate courses for pre-service and in-service teachers and other students for contact and distance presentation;
- Mentor students for practice teaching/work integrated learning;
- Use a learning management system to develop and present courses;
- Present lectures and programmes in an E-learning environment;
- Provide a significant contribution to research outputs, post graduate teaching and supervision.
- Master’s degree in Physical Science Education;
- Evidence of teaching experience in Physical Science Education for example being a demonstrator or tutor or lecturer;
- At least one publication in an accredited journal or equivalent units;
- Academic administrative experience.
- PhD in Physical Science Education;
- Teaching experience (at least 3 years) in Physical Science Education at a Higher Education Institution)
- Evidence of successful Masters and Doctoral supervision;
- Conduct own research, research projects and evidence of at least 5 publications in accredited journals or an average of 1 article per year for the last 3 years in such journals, or equivalent outputs in Physical Science Education.
- Experience and expertise in curriculum development and policies in Physical Science Education
- Evidence of administration and coordination responsibilities and membership of committees
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Appropriate language and communication skills
- Ability to apply knowledge and skills in teaching and supervision
- Ability to work as an individual and in a team
- Knowledge in the field of Physical Science Education
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Evidence of module and programme coordination responsibilities and membership of committees in department, faculty or professional (academic) bodies.
- Participation in departmental meetings
- Evidence of involvement in community engagement programmes
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Teaching Portfolio;
CLOSING DATE: 02 February 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.