Export Control and Trusted Research Senior Manager
The Department and role purpose:
Research and Innovation Services (RIS) provides guidance, expert advice and hands-on support for all aspects of research and research-related work, including securing funding, working with partners, undertaking knowledge exchange, demonstrating impact, commercialising outputs, ensuring good research practice and supporting professional development.
The University is operating in an increasingly complex regulatory environment. The Export Control and Trusted Research Manager will take a leading role in the coordination, development and implementation of institutional policy as regards sensitive international collaboration, including work subject to export control and international frameworks, visiting researchers, due diligence of research partners and compliance with the National Security and Investment Act (NSIA). The role will involve the development of relevant policy, standard operating procedures, tools and training to support the embedding of expertise in RIS and academic departments.
The post holder is expected to work independently, to exercise initiative and organise their work and that of project teams according to plans, but also to respond to changing priorities. They must have excellent organisational skills, an ability to interpret and distil complex guidance and to work with staff across the institution.
- Provide expert professional subject expertise and problem-solving skills, specifically on compliance with export controls and on classification of goods and technology.
- Act as recognised practitioner within own specialist area or discipline, shaping activities, processes and systems. Developing and managing systems for the assurance of compliance with the requirements of UK and US export controls.
- Responsible for operational activity across different areas: including on key regulatory and contractual matters relating to research grants and contracts.
- Oversight of short term or temporary project teams/strands, taking responsibility for decision making as appropriate.
- Engage with key stakeholders and internal and external contractors to influence opinion, delivery and reputation of services.
- Act as specialist point of contact dealing with complexity of data and information sources, interpretation and analysis.
- Significant input into the scoping and resource planning across a range of activities at operational and possibly strategic level.
- Carry out project scoping, initiation, planning and implementation for large scale/University wide initiatives.
- Responsible for shaping the development and learning of others outside of team, through the design and delivery of training sessions.
- Lead on the design, implementation and monitoring of policy and quality standards, procedures and systems ensuring effective working and continuous improvement.
- Promote and develop a deep understanding of organisational policy and external developments.
- Promote the improvement and efficiency of departmental services by implementing and managing review and improvement procedures.
- Ensure all activities, processes and transactions are accounted for accurately and promptly to meet regulatory and professional service and policy standards.
- Implement processes to manage the integrity and security of all commercially and professionally sensitive and personal data.
- Lead internal business meetings, working groups and sub-committees at operational service level to influence governance, organisational policy and standards for the service.
- Responsible for allocating and monitoring financial budgets and resources.