Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Economics
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Business and Economics
Department/School: Department of Economics
Salary: $107,547 - $127,707 (Level B)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About the Faculty of Business and Economics
The Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Melbourne has been preparing students for exciting and challenging careers in industry since 1924. We have developed an outstanding reputation, locally and internationally, for the quality of our teaching and research. The Faculty has an active board of business leaders, government representatives and community leaders who contribute to the implementation of our vision.
Further information about joining the Faculty is available here https://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-fbe.
About the Role
The Department of Economics at the University of Melbourne is the leading economics department in Australia with strong undergraduate and postgraduate programs, and an outstanding group of economists and econometricians.
Working collaboratively with a team of leading academics, researchers and students, the Post-Doctoral Research Fellow will conduct research in support of an ARC Discovery Project on “Banking System Competition and the Macro-economy” along with developing his/her own research career. The Post-Doctoral Research Fellow is expected to contribute to the overall research environment in the Department of Economics at the University of Melbourne. Applications are sought from individuals with backgrounds and interests in macroeconomics, monetary economics, empirical macroeconomics and financial economics.
In a typical week at work, you may:
- Collaborate with Associate Professor Mei Dong, Dr. Stella Huangfu and Associate Professor Tim Kam on the ARC Discovery Project on “Banking System Competition and the Macro-economy”
- Present research at both domestic and international conferences
- Participate in the University Professional Development Framework
- Develop links with the profession and with other universities, both nationally and internationally, to support the ARC project
You will have an aptitude for research, able to undertake research independently and with minimal supervision, and an ability to analyse data, solve problems, and maintain accurate research records. Your strong interpersonal skills allow you to interact with internal and external stakeholders, working cooperatively across a multi-discipline team environment. Your written and verbal communications skills mean you are able to present research findings to both technical and non-technical audiences, and through a variety of different presentation mediums.
Ideally, you will further have:
- Completion of a Ph.D. or equivalent research higher degree in economics or a related field by the beginning of the appointment
- Knowledge of, and experience in, MATLAB for macroeconomic modelling
- Knowledge of, and experience in at least one computer software such as STATA and R for empirical analysis
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages and culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria* (found in the Position Description) for the role.
*For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
Applications close: 16 Feb 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time