Lecturer, Built Environment and Information Technology
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
LECTURER (1 post)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The University of Pretoria wishes to appoint an academic staff member to enhance the current research and teaching capacity in the Department of Chemical Engineering and to position the Department as an international leader. Expertise and experience are sought in chemical engineering or closely related discipline with the ability and experience to teach courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. In particular candidates with research experience in areas such as sustainable environment and water utilisation processes/sustainable and efficient energy processes/ advanced and applied materials will be preferred. The position will be closely associated with multidisciplinary research related to application of concepts of chemical/biochemical engineering in sustainable environment and water utilisation processes/sustainable and efficient energy processes/ advanced and applied materials.
It will be expected of the successful candidate to:
- Teach core modules in chemical engineering (e.g. mass transfer, biochemical engineering, chemical engineering design, environmental safety engineering, etc) at undergraduate and postgraduate levels in the Department;
- Supervise final year undergraduate BEng project students, BEngHons/BScHons students;
- Supervise masters and doctoral students if already holding a PhD degree.
- Be actively involved in a research group/unit focusing on the application of concepts of chemical/biochemical engineering in sustainable environment and water utilisation processes/sustainable and efficient energy processes/ advanced and applied materials and publish in leading accredited journals in the field;
- Raise and manage additional funding from national and international funding agencies and industry to support his/her research activities and that of the group he/she associates with;
- Expand existing research programmes or initiate new research programmes;
- Perform assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature).
- A BEng/BScEng degree in Chemical Engineering or closely related discipline from a university of which the undergraduate programme is registrable with Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA);
- A Masters’ degree in Chemical Engineering or closely related discipline that follows on the previous qualification;
- Research experience in chemical engineering, in particular in application of concepts of chemical/biochemical engineering in sustainable environment and water utilisation processes/sustainable and efficient energy processes/ advanced and applied materials;
- Publications in accredited journals or conferences;
- Industry related experience within the field.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Evidence of teaching experience (at least 1 year) in higher institution;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have teaching and research expertise that complement the Department’s needs;
- Preference will be given to candidates who already hold a PhD degree in Chemical Engineering or in a closely related discipline or at the final stage (e.g. 3rd year) of his/her doctoral degree programme in Chemical Engineering or in a closely related discipline
- Related industry work or consulting experience;
- Candidates registered or registerable as Professional Engineer with ECSA;
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, the candidate must attach the following document to his/her application:
- A cover letter summarizing relevant experience and areas of teaching and research expertise/interests;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- A brief teaching portfolio;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 15 February 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 June 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.